[42] The Next Task

The silent afternoon under the shade of the canopy of dense trees was such a contrast to the morning quarrel in our room.

I couldn't just sit there on the bed sulking in my own sorrows. A low moment like such only gave me the motivation to remember who I was and what I was supposed to do.

I was Misty. A human before anything to Karam or his motherland. And I had to visit Chelsea near the lake to report the conclusions from my journey to the temple.

But squeezing Keev in all this chaos was a too sensitive topic for me to ignore. So packing his needy things for a day out, I left the room, walked throughout the way with him in my arms, ignoring the curious and judgemental stares of Karam's loved ones, and reached the usual spot at the thin waterfall near the lake.

Just like I had expected Chelsea was doing her laundry, a show for the passersby. But I knew that she was dying to see me.

I too couldn't wait to be with her. Legs were already sore from the trekking and ached more because of walking all the way to here. But meeting her would be worth every step was taken in pain.

Most importantly, it was the best distraction for me to stop thinking about what happened between Karam and me in the morning. I just had to hide from him and this was the only safe place I felt, was possible for my mental peace.

But all that expected tranquility stayed miles away when I saw Chelsea's smile fading after hugging the life out of me. Her straight gaze didn't move off Keev until she was done thinking her thoughts. And God, I was curious about it. Afterward, she smiled at me. But those blank expressions while gazing at Keev stayed in my mind.

Time passed with us going to our usual spot near the falls to have privacy because of the great noise. Keev enjoyed the timely sprinkles of water shower as we were sitting near the falls safely on a stable flat rock with mine and Chelsea's feet dipped under the water.

While he played with a doll that I made up of a tiny handkerchief by rolling it, seated on my lap, Chelsea and I discussed the important things.

And it began with the talks about Lucine only.

"She cannot be sweet and kind to you just like that, " guessed Chelsea while shaking her head in disbelief. "The females are afraid of her. The Alpha is afraid of her. She worships Severa, the ghost of the Lycan Princess. She is the chieftain, Misty. She is not being plain sweet to you for no reason."

My lips parted at her words.

"She has a blood relation with Karam. She loves him and thus, me too. She treated me like any loving relative would. I guess, she just knew that I would be bawling over taking Keev back to Karam. She knows my nature, " I said while thinking of all the conclusions. "She was just being the chieftain and sister-in-law. She did no harm and no extra buttering to me. It's cool."

Her brown eyes were full of wonders she could think of when Chelsea looked at me. I could swear that she was a quick thinker.

"She underestimates you. Or maybe, she is enjoying that the way to the heir of this pack is from you and not Amelia or others brides." Chelsea whispered while looking ahead at the sparkling lake water. "Did she tell more about Severa's life?"

I shook my head.

"Her brothers died outside here in the jungles while waiting for their mates. While she stayed at the temple. So, I can only conclude that her bones are back there hidden in that temple, " I said while giving her a serious look.

Her eyebrows narrowed as she soaked in my words in her mind. There was a new scar on her forehead, more like a fresh wound apart from the two already deep scars on her cheek from earlier.