Gilbert

"History has been repeated."

The pigeons fly away from Alpha Rucus' head as father gave them a hard gaze to demand privacy. His eyes softened while looking at our ancestor's face. His lips didn't tremble like our hearts. We had just returned from visiting the tomb sites in the jungle.

"My sons created a War. For good intentions. But it was a War." He said while blinking softly. "They didn't leave home to kill people, Gill. They asked for a discussion. They asked for cooperation from other packs. But deep inside, we all know the truth. No matter if Lucretia and Morwenna are angry too. It is our pack, who is against the Lycans. The other packs don't want the wrath of Goddess. Don't want to commit sins. No matter how much unfairness it causes. The War happened because your brothers couldn't digest that unfairness."

He raised his hand while looking at me. Observing my height passing his by two inches, he smiled through the pain displaying on his face.

"In the history of the packs, it will be written. The four brothers didn't massacre a laughing and celebrating pack like the Lycan brothers did. It was different. They asked other Alphas to contribute. In my wild imaginations, I can manage to see Joran happy somewhere. Alive or dead, we are no Gods to be aware of it. But his brothers knew that his home was here. And he never came back. Such love among the brothers will be written and celebrated through the centuries to come."

I gulped hard while observing the grey hair shining among his Auburn ones.

"Joru suffered the pain of longing until it was unbearable. Day and night, he fought silently. Never asked me to let him go. Never cursed the border. Never cursed the fates." He said while removing his hand and looking back up at Alpha Rucus' stone face. "At last, the deal with Lycans brought some hope. We sent him. Gillian sent him happily. The hope was broken. He never came. He was wronged. So have been us. Your brothers died for his loss of not being able to live or die on his motherland."

"Why didn't the other Alphas help, father?" I asked, looking at him. "They lost their men too."

He smiled sadly while not moving his eyes off the statue. "Some fear the Goddess, despite knowing that some rules are ruthless. Some fear the unfairness and ask the Goddess for the reasons behind this rule. She would enlighten us slowly. Through that learning, some restless souls die. Some stay."

My gaze went straight for the earthen lamp lit at his feet. The wind couldn't blow it away. The flame was high and prideful.

"I failed to stop them," he said while putting hands behind his back. "I failed to stop their mates too. I could have stopped the War."

"You weren't the Alpha, father." I said, giving him an empathetic gaze. "Brother Gillian was. You fought in the War too. You too killed for them. You too suffered injuries. You tried to soften the situation. Brothers are up there with their mates, father."

His throat shook hard. He gulped quickly while staring at the statue. The tears hung at his lashes like a lock meant to be open by a key made of more empathy.

"Innys was yet to find his mate." My old man finally let the tears slide down his cheeks. "The ceremony was just a month ago. They all had just met."

My fists clenched at the sorrow I felt in my heart. My brothers were worried about Joru during the ceremony, while I was busy fucking a female I had just met. I couldn't even remember ever three of the sister-in-laws smelling like my brothers. They hadn't even mated yet.

"Marys and Gregor had common females as their mates from our pack. They used to make fun of Joran's fear of heights and dirt. He was just like your mother. Do you remember it, Gill?"