[21] Mysterious

"This can't be possible."

I was horrified. I was numbed by the unbelievable truth.

Shocked by the ultimate reality, I couldn't stand there in front of them any longer. I rushed out of the room, pleading to Karam to take me back to home.

He kept asking about what happened to me. While all I could do was whimper at the fear that I had started to feel.

The darkness, the silence and the secrets of this pack were scaring me now more than ever.

Guiding me on the path while holding me close to himself, he finally brought me here. It began with stumbling on the uneven pathway, struggling in the dark and saving myself from not stepping on dirt or dung cakes. Karam guided me. 

The feet were broken from all the walk and labour I did today. Karam had offered to carry me but I denied, thinking of how any of the Lycans might be awake or get awake listening to us reaching here. It would be a show then.

But no one was there and I could feel the throbbing exhaustion in my feet.

I removed my cloak hurriedly, hanging it away on the chair.

Sitting on his side of the bed with my mouth cupped by my hand, I kept taking long breaths.

"This can't be possible," I repeated, widening my eyes as he locked the door and sat on the other chair beside the little table we had.

"What is not possible?" Karam looked as blank as he could be, while observing my reaction.

I couldn't believe him. "The existence," I said, pointing at the door. "That him and his family is alive."

His hair moved as he ran fingers through them, pushed them back. Putting his right leg against his left knee, he leaned ahead slightly in curiosity. "What's so wrong with him being alive?" He asked while opening his legs and removing his boots slowly.

I blinked in disturbance. "You don't know what I am talking about?" I asked, feeling an unknown restlessness in my heart.

Did Chelsea know? If she did, then why hadn't she sent the clue yet.

"I know what my mate is talking about. What I don't understand is why she feel surprised," he said while picking up his boots and socks.

He put the boots near the wall. His large shadow formed and that's when, I realized how Amelia had come and lit up the candles behind our back. There was no privacy here even after our doors were bolted from outside.

There was uncountable trust.

He took the socks away to the bathroom and returned with washed feet after two minutes, picking up a folded cloth from the chair at the corner of the room.

"Surprise meant to make my mate happy, to see her relatives. Not shock her with some news. I thought my mate wasn't aware of her cousins' births, Aslan and Kaamil." He said, sitting on the chair wiping his feet one by one.

I observed my dirty feet and realized I had stepped on the bed absentmindedly too.

I was the mannerless, here.

But I felt so blank and shocked, I couldn't care anymore.

Putting the cloth on the chair, spreading it to dry, Karam walked towards the bed. He sat in front of me, his back facing the fence.

"What is wrong, my mate?" He asked, cupping my hand with his large one.

I gulped, looking up at him.

My heart was slowly shrinking in this restlessness I felt inside. I just wanted to run back to the other side of the border and scream to Gilbert and Uncle Robert, that their elder brother was alive. I wanted to do the same to Stephen and Beta Iago.