[29] The Mountain Morning

When everything had been going right in a row, you might feel the faint chills running down your spine in suspicion that this might not last any soon.

I was feeling those chills.

Settled in his muscular arms while he would take every step gently to not swing me much, I was moving my eyes around to look through the morning for and observe the deep trench covered with those dense jungles. 

The story of Severa was slowly soaking in my mind in a way that I might not forget it ever. The more I would come to know bout her, the more it scared me. Because she was alive on this territory years ago for real. And she was alive now as a Goddess her followers worshipped.

We follow Gods because they aren't humans like us. They are magic. They are deities. But Severa was a Lycan like them just been born in a time too earlier than theirs. They didn't know what traits she had. They were just following what their ancestors did and not taking the risk of making her upset by not continuing that faith. Now, that belief in her powers and existence was genuine in their hearts and minds.

I only knew that she had been wronged by the males. Her brothers and her mate.

The Lycans being feared by all the wolves outside and inside the border, were themselves scared of this woman who wasn't even alive.

This new day of the journey was going smooth. We had seen the temple from that peak we stayed last night. We had covered more miles ahead after passing through the mountain of longing. Until I felt my legs shaking like nothing before. All my stamina was lost. I was sweating and begging for breaks to catch my breaths.

"But if we stop now, we won't reach the temple before they close the gate after cleaning it, my mate. Then, not even our calls of their names or of their Goddess will open the gates." Karam had said to alert me of our slow speed.

I was conflicted in keeping myself alive and ambitious.

At last, without asking me, he had snaked his arms behind my back and the knees to solve the dilemma.

I was so grateful to him for carrying me like that from past fifteen to twenty minutes without a single break. It was slightly making me shocked too because he wasn't even looking affected by this.

He just had that calm expression on his face of concentrating on the plain muddy path with stones stuck in it ahead. He was neither tired nor bored. His eyes held a certain relief as if he was enjoying the journey.

But as we were going closer to our destination by every passing minute, this sudden terror was spreading in my chest.

After all, I was just a human.

I was thrown on to this side of the border ruthlessly. Fortunately, I was mated to a man who was giving me enough love and keeping me sane with his selfless acts for me despite being a little mean in the middle. I could have just accepted the circumstances and be out of troubles.

But no, I had to get impressed by the high authoritative aura of Lucine. I had to get thrilled by Chelsea's idea of visiting the temple on the full moon itself. I had to get so angry over Karam being a father and demand the trip to the temple right then.

And now, I would be spending a night between the ladies who could be performing dark magic or getting blood lusted by the effects of the full moon.

"What is my mate thinking? Her heartbeats are slowing down in worry." Karam said while the faint gusts of wind caressed our bare ears.

"I am scared," I whispered while glancing ahead at the way and back at him. "I think we should go back, Karam. I said too much in anger. I pretended to be courageous and now, I can't stop being uncertain of what is coming next. I can't. . ."