Chapter Twenty-Four.

"What do you think of this one?", Daisy asks me for what I think is probably the fifth time now.

          The perfect graduation dress. That's what she's searching so tirelessly for. We've been to almost five different boutiques now and in each one, we make absolutely no progress. I can't believe Daisy's about to graduate. I guess it's like they al-ways say, time flies when you're being stalked by a psychopath. They do say that, don't they?

          "Nai?", Daisy speaks up, snapping me out of my empty trance

          "Sorry", I shake my head and let out a small sigh. ...uh...it's great"

          "You said that the last four dresses I tried on", she rolls her eyes

          "...well they're all great dresses"

         Honestly, I dont even know why were here. Daisy could literally graduate in old shorts and a crop top and still be the most gorgeous girl their as long as she wears her killer confidence. She looks good in whatever she puts on.

          "Okay", she says as she sits down besides me. "What's going on? Ever since you came back, you've been on some weird like, spaced out trip or something"

          "It's just...he's a whole stranger Daisy. I mean, you should've been there. You should've seen the way Anitta talked about him. It was like she just saw a ghost", I mumble. "She was terrified of him. And all this time—I just mean—shouldn't I be terrified too?"

          "What do you mean?"

          "I mean, he doesn't terrify me. Jeffery Maxwell doesn't terrify me. Neither does Xavier Grayson or...whoever the hell else he might be. I just... I think that's weird. Like, do I enjoy being in this position? Am I even really a victim despite feel-ing like this?"

         "...we can't help the things we feel Nai. You cant be that hard on yourself ", she comforts, "the only thing that matters is that we know he's a bad guy, and now we have people to back us up. We've got him..."

          "Not exactly..."

          "What do you mean?"

         "I still need to get...evidence", I swallow. "So.. I was thinking of sneaking into his house"

          She raises her brows. "Woah, are you out of your mind? That's way too dangerous...I'm not letting you do that"

         "Look, if I don't do it, no one will and sooner or later, one of us is gonna get hurt by him...seriously hurt. I mean, for all we know, he might have a bunch of dead bodies piling up like trophies in his basement"

          A pause. "You can't do that Nai. We'll think of something else, there's gotta be another way to find evidence...but, I can't let you do that. I've been a terrible friend to you and I'm not gonna make that mistake again"

          "What do you mean by again?", I ask her. We already went through this. I forgive you for leaving me that night. Thats behind us

          Daisy stands up quickly and sighs. She starts to chew nervously at her bottom lip and I can tell that she's hiding something from me. "Daisy?", I ask for a second time, "what do you mean by again?"

          "... it's nothing, okay? Let's just...go home", she murmurs under her breath

          "No, Daisy! What the hell are you hiding from me? If you have something to tell me then just go ahead and say it"

          A thick blanket of awkward silence covers the atmosphere suddenly and for a moment, I've never seen Daisy so pale and so lifeless. Whatever it is she's hiding from me, I'm not sure I'll be able to stomach.