Best Buddies

It was the first day of Janice's Christmas break, and Penelope was over with her, her tripod all set up and a green screen on the wall of the back room. Priscilla was busy minding her own business in the front room with a block of cheese and her Netflix. She wanted no parts of anything either of those little girls were doing and the only thing she was worried about was Scott making sure he was going to work on that house after work and the two of them not making too much noise.

She could feel Peter moving and kicking her organs and she rubbed her tummy, hoping to coax baby off her bladder. It seemed that was his favorite place and he had a habit of kicking her left kidney.

"Hey, Baby Kung Fu Fighter, stop that shit. I'm trying to watch TV."

With no regard for Priscilla, Peter continued kicking her kidney, causing her to get up and rub the spot, taking out her phone to call Scott.

Just as the phone started ringing, she heard the door open and a few seconds later, Scott's ringing phone. She hung up and went to meet him in the foyer. "Shouldn't you be on your way to do something to that hazard land?" she wondered.

"That hazard land will be move in ready this weekend. What are you calling me about, sweetheart?"

"Make your son stop kicking my kidney."

Scott glanced over at Priscilla as he removed his jacket and tossed his keys on the side table before removing his shoes. He looked back over at his wife and closed the coat closet before kissing her and walking past her.

Priscilla's eyebrows nearly touched as she followed her husband's retreating figure, her lips pursed.

"Where is your best friend?" he asked as he started for the stairs.

"I don't know. Somewhere minding her own business."

"Jan!" Scott called.

"Oh, that best friend."

Scott glanced over his shoulder at his wife and rolled his eyes as he heard foot steps down the hall. When he reached the landing, there was a smiling teenager standing there.

"Hey, Uncle Scott."

"Do you want to come to the hardware store and pick out your paint?"

"I'm making a video with Penny Candy."

"Please stop calling that girl that," Priscilla told her, still trying to coax Peter away from her kidney.

"When do you think you'll be done?"

"Umm..." Janice looked towards the back. "Penelope, when do you think we'll be done?"

Penelope came out of the room and saw her brother-in-law and grinned. "Hi, Scott. We'll be another few hours."

"Aunt Priscilla can pick my colors," Janice suggested and Priscilla craned her neck to look up at Janice.

"How the hell do you volunteer me? I was watching television, little girl."

"No you weren't. You were fussing at the baby."

Scott tried so hard not to laugh because he knew Priscilla didn't appreciate it, and he was supposed to have her back as her husband; but it was so funny that Janice had heard that.

"Jan, you can't volunteer Priscilla for that. You knew better."

"Pleeeeeease, Aunt Priscilla? You can do it. I trust you to pick a good color. Pretty please."

Scott looked down at his wife. He knew she was never going to admit it, but she adored Janice and she enjoyed having her around. She knew her niece nearly as well as she knew her sisters.