Chapter 28- Settle Down

My heart beat picked up rapidly, thumping profusely against my ribcage. I diverted my eyes quick hoping he wouldn't notice me.  Marcel or Harry had not told me that Edward was back! I hadn't even known he would be coming back! My muscles tensed as I sat at the lunch table with my friends. I hoped that the bell would ring and that mop of messy hair would be lost in the crowd where I wouldn't have to see him.

 Marcel, whom was sitting beside me, noticed my tensed and panicked state and reached his arm around me and pulled me closer to him. His fingers began to trace around my side in a careful manner hoping to relieve my tension. He dipped his head down and brought his mouth to my ear whispering gently.  "What's wrong?" He asked.

 I shook my head, wanting to avoid the conversation that brought back terrible memories.

 "Nothing" I muttered under my breath.

 Marcel squeezed me closer to him and brought his head down to kiss the top of mine. "Seriously, what's wrong April?"

 I take a deep breath in and then exhale before turning around to face Marcel. I looked into his eyes to see how worried he was for me. I realized that I couldn’t escape the question and he would eventually find out. No wanting to keep him waiting any longer I told him what was on my mind.

"I just didn't know that Edward was back." I muttered quietly only wanting him to hear me.

“Back?” he said, not understanding me.

 “Back at school, Marcel.” I said impatiently.

 His face scrunched up almost like he didn't believe the words I was saying, then when realization hit him a look of disbelief crossed his face. "What?" He gasped.

I stayed silent, not knowing what was going on inside his head.

 "Back?" He said not believing his own words "he isn't back. He is still receiving treatment I thought."

 Now it was my turn to gasp "what!?"

We shared a look of shock before I turned back to search for the messy mop of curls belonging to Edward, which remained in the same place as before. I shrunk back in my seat with my back pressed against Marcel's front. A shiver raked through my body and ran up my spine sending my body eerie chills. I shook my head hoping I was just seeing things but I doubted myself. I was hoping that it was just another student that had a messy nest of curls atop their head, but I highly doubted that. I knew what I saw, and I knew I saw Edward.

When the bell rang my body shot up in surprise and I snapped my gaze to look in the direction of Edward. I was just in time to see him leave the cafeteria. I puffed out a breath of relief. I was satisfied and hoping I wouldn't have to run into him now.

I gathered my things and stood up from the table when I felt a gentle touch on my wrist that pulled me backwards, twirling me around. Marcel smiled and leaned in kissing my lips lightly before pulling back and looking into my eyes.

“It’s okay” he said pulling my body into him and rubbing my back in a calming and soothing manner. “I will never let anything happen to you, I promise.” He kissed my forehead and reached down to grab his bag then slung it over his shoulder.