Chapter 27- Come A Little Closer

I woke up to the sound of my alarm blaring and annoying tune and rolled over to switch it off. I lazily stepped out of bed and started to walk to the bathroom to wash my face. After splashing water on my face and drying it off I took a long and good look at myself in the mirror. I studied my features and realized that all this time I have been hiding my true self under too much makeup. I was so focused on having an acceptable appearance that I almost forgot what mattered to me- and that was love and friendship.

Marcel helped me realize what was really important. I'm glad i left my crazy life behind full of parties, boys, alcohol and all things nonsence. 

I barely wore any makeup now because I felt more comfortable without it- plus Marcel liked me without makeup. I didn’t need to pretend to be somebody I wasn’t. 

I walked out of the bathroom and pulled on a pair of jeans and a black oversized hoodie. I slipped my feet into some simple white converse and made my way down the stairs towards the kitchen.

“Good morning sweetie” I heard my dad call from behind the counter standing next to the coffee machine.

“Morning dad” I smiled back at him and reached into the cupboard grabbing the box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch and pouring myself a bowl. “Where is mom?” I asked between mouthfuls of cereal. 

“She left early for a meeting.” He replied shortly taking a sip of coffee from his mug before placing it on the countertop and looking at me. “I wanted to wait for you to get up before leaving” he smiled brightly. 

I chuckled at my dad before finishing of my cereal and cleaning the bowl. I walked over to my dad and gave him a quick hug then pulled out my phone from my back pocket and texted Marcel. 

He replied shortly after saying he was on his way to pick me up. I smiled to myself thinking of how much I liked him and how much of a gentleman he was.

When I heard the doorbell sound I grabbed my backpack that rested on the sofa then raced to the front door and opened it revealing my handsome boyfriend. I could hear my dad’s footsteps approaching behind and soon he was standing behind me and opened the door more to see Marcel.

“Hello, sir” said Marcel sweetly before stretching out his hand and shaking my fathers’.

My father chuckled before saying “call me Dave.” 

Marcel returned the smile then took my hand and walked me to his car and opened the door for me.

We arrived at school with a couple minutes to spare before fist class would start so we walked around the halls for a little while and made small talk.

Marcel and I walked down the halls together with our fingers intertwined, the warmth of Marcel's hand heating my own as we passed familiar faces. Most people had not showed up yet- considering it was a Monday morning but whoever was here turned their heads and gawked at us- which I can understand considering how odd of a couple Marcel and I are.

We are complete opposites. Marcel being a sweet and caring nerd and me being a broken, confused girl. Even though we were different people it drew us to each other even more. Like people say; opposites attract. 

But none of that mattered to me anymore. Marcel had been my savior when I needed, and he cared for me all this time. He was truly amazing and I was so thankful that he was now mine. He brought something out in me that I had never experienced before. Every time I looked at him butterflies flooded my stomach and my mind began to blur.

"Do you need to stop at your locker?" He asked me quietly.

I shook my head at him and he smiled lazily squeezing my hand and dragging me along with him towards math class. I smiled back and continued alongside him dragging my feet against the linoleum hall floors. We approached the math room with a few minutes to spare before the late bell would ring. Marcel held my hand and led me to the far side of the class where our seats were. We both sat down and I watched as Marcel took out his books. I chuckled and thought to myself that I would have to start working in class now too. 

Soon after more students filed in and took their seats Mr. Avery- our maths teacher- took his place at the front of the class and took attendance. He was always surprised to see me here on time and it annoyed me but soon he would have to get used to it because I have changed for the better. 

Marcel was not the once changing me because he liked me for who I am, not matter what. I wanted to change myself and was sick of being a rebellious carefree person. I haven’t been to one party since Marcel and I started dating and I am glad because nothing good ever happens to me at parties.

“Open your textbook to page one hundred and sixty- four please” Mr. Avery’s voice rang out and brought me back to reality from my thoughts.

I reached under my seat and pulled my textbook from my bag and began to flip through the pages to find the one I needed.

Mr. Avery began to teach us about polynomials and calculations and I eventually zoned out. My hand was pressed firmly to my cheek and I leaned on my elbow lazily. The numbers Mr. Avery began to blur as my mind drifted to the terrible night I saw Edward, Dom and Ryker all betray me. I closed my eyes and my hands grasped my head trying desperately to hold onto something. I remembered the harsh grip Ryker had on me and immediately gasped and grabbed my opposite wrists.

When I looked down at my wrists I noticed the fading purple and green bruises. When I looked back up I realized that the whole class including the teacher was looking at me. I flushed and could feel heat rise to my neck.

Marcel reached over and gently caressed my hand rubbing his thumb over the backside of it. Marcel cleared his throat and brought the attention of the class and away from me. Mr. Avery took the hint and resumed back to teaching the class. I was so thankful for what Marcel did.

I turned towards Marcel and mouthed a ‘thank you’ at him. He smiled and brought my hand up to his mouth before placing a light kiss on its back and turning back to the front to listen to Mr. Avery, but his hand remained intertwined with my own.

The bell rang through the classroom and the students scrambled to pack their bags before hustling out the door and on to their next class. I took my time and slowly packed all my books then turned to Marcel to find him waiting for me by the door.

***

When lunch time came Marcel joined my regular group table and sat next to me, placing his tray of food down. He scooted closer to me and joined in on our conversation about why oranges were called oranges.

“It’s because they are the colour orange” Janessa said matter-of-factly.

“But what if the colour orange didn’t exist when oranges were created!” Jace protested.

I shook my head and laughed at the complete stupidity of my friends conversation. When I finished my lunch we still had a few more minutes to talk so I began to gaze around the lunch room- looking for nothing in particular. I scanned over the tables taking in peoples appearances and what they chose to wear. While my eyes scanned over the crowds my eyes caught on something familiar- a wild mess of curly hair.

Edward.

******

Hey guys! I want to say I'm so sorry I haven't updated sooner. One big thank you to all of you that are still reading this book! Your support means so much to me and I thank you so much!

A few more chapter to go. I love y'all! Vote Comment and fan. Your comments always make me smile!