Chapter 19

The Real First Date
This chapter inspired by the song
10,000 Hours by Dan & Shay

Natsu took Lucy to a street fair that had been going on downtown. Local bands came to play, food trucks were everywhere, carnival games and little shops set up along multiple streets. They stopped at food truck to get dinner.

"Priorities. Food first." Natsu told Lucy.

"No complaints here." She replied.

"You like to eat. You're a woman after my own heart, Lucy Heartfilia."

"Well, ya know, I do like to live." Lucy responded. Natsu laughed. He loved her quick wit, or as her friends just call her, a smart ass. Lucy grinned at him. They placed their orders and were given their food. Pulled barbecue brisket sandwich, Lucy's mouth was watering. Fresh cut thick French fries, Natsu was in heaven. They enjoyed their meal, chatting about different things.

Okay so we've been talking about me a lot lately. You know everything about me. But I want to know more about you. What do you like to do?" he asked her.

"Have you ever heard of Lucy Ashley?" Lucy asked.

"Yeah, my sister likes to read her books. She's a romance writer. My sister's been saying she hopes she does a book signing soon so she can get her autograph. She's eagerly waiting for her next book." Lucy grinned, spread her arms and took a bow. "No fucking way. You're Lucy Ashley?!" he asked in disbelief.

"Lucy Ashley Heartfilia, at your service." She said proudly.

"That's amazing! It takes some people years to be able to get anything published. What publishing company are you contracted with?" Lucy raised her brow with a smirk, gesturing him to 'take a wild guess'. "Fiore Publishing Company?! Lucy, that's incredible!" Natsu praised her. Lucy smiled and blushed that someone could acknowledge her, but deep down she was still really self-conscious about her work. All joking aside, she was always nervous submitting her work to her editors.

"Thank you, Natsu. That means a lot to me."

"So... go on. Tell me more." He encouraged. Lucy giggled.

"Well, I love cars, classics are the best. I love muscle cars. My favorite colors are pink and blue. I love anything to do with the zodiac. I love astrology and stargazing. My mom died when I was really young and my dad was the owner of Jude's Auto Parts up the road until he died of a heart attack about 2 years ago. He taught me everything I know about cars. I love the sound of thunderstorms and playing or dancing in pouring rain. It's so relaxing to me. Let's see, umm, I love a good drink, I love the fall, oversized hoodies and campfires."

"Do you wanna dance?" he asked her, holding out his hand.

"Huh?" she said confused. Lucy looked around. They had come to the music district of the fair where bands had been playing and there was a massive area had been cordoned off for dancing. He grabbed her hand and dragged her in the middle of the group. He spun her around the stone-laden ground, dipping her here and there, twirling her into his arms and back out again. Natsu then picked her up and spun her behind his back, similar to the swing dancers of the 1930's. Lucy was laughing so hard. She was having so much fun dancing with this man. When the music finally stopped, they were out of breath but staring into each other's eyes.

Their faces began to lean closer to each other, eyelids fluttering to a close. When their lips were barely a hair's width apart, they realized that people had been applauding and cheering their performance. They looked up and around at the crowd. Lucy buried her head in Natsu's chest in embarrassment at forgetting their surroundings. Natsu lifted one arm in the air and waved at the crowd with his signature grin plastered on his face, his other arm wrapped around Lucy's waist.