46. The Vampire Strikes Back

[The Raid]

"We don't decapitate vampires. We irradiate them," Ketch said.

"Cool," Sam and Dylan commented.

"The toys are the fun part."

"For obvious reasons, we don't trust the Brits," Sam told his siblings.

Natalia frowned. "What the hell? Aren't we supposed to be on the same team?"

"I know all about the Colt," Ketch said.

"You know, there's only five things in all creation it can't kill," Mary replied.

"You think Mom would've wanted this for us?" Sam asked.

"Nothing comes before my family, not with me," Mary said.

"Really?" Ketch questioned. "Or is that just what you want to believe? You're an excellent liar, Mary."

"Too bad Mom couldn't make it," Sam stated.

Natalia crossed her arms. "Yeah. Dean and I feel like something's going on with her, and she ain't talkin' about it."

"I have sort of been working with the British Men of Letters," Mary admitted.

"So where does that leave us?" Dean wondered.

NOW

At the bunker, Mary stood facing her kids and Dylan across the map table. Sam and Dylan were sitting, Dean and Natalia standing.

Mary sighed. "Just hear me out. Please."

"Wow," Dean and Natalia muttered.

Sam cleared his throat.

"Just wow."

"Dean, Natalia, what the British Men of Letters are doing what we're doing, it's a better way. They," Mary sighed, "look, I'm not blind to who they are or what they've done, but–"

"When? When? When did you start working with them?" Sam asked.

"Since before the lake house."

Sam scoffed.

"It wasn't Wally. They brought me that case."

"You were runnin' an errand for the Brits. And you kept it from us. Cas almost died," Dean said.

"I–"

"A hunter got killed," Natalia reminded her bluntly.

"You think I don't know? I'm the one who burned his body. I'm the one who told his wife. I watch him die every night."

"Good," Dean and Natalia said.

THREE DAYS LATER

A van drove up. Ketch was passenger and Mary was driving.

Velcro ripped and the engine turned off. The side door slid open.

"Nice work today," Ketch complimented. "I must say, this little beauty certainly worked as advertised. We barely had to lift a finger. Ah, the AVD. I do love a new toy."

Mary and Ketch watched a man die as smoke emanated from the AVD and he fell down stairs. The air hissed. He coughed violently. He gasped and groaned. There was a thud.

"Mary? Everything all right?" Ketch asked.

"I'm fine," Mary replied.

Inside the compound, Ketch strutted down hallway, passed by a woman.