30. Midnight Rider

[Safe House]

CAFE - DAY

Dean and Natalia were sitting at the bar of a cafe, each with a cup of coffee and an untouched burger.

Sam came in and sat down next to him. "All right, nothing on Amara. Nothing on Cas or Rae... Keep your heads up. We're gonna win this. Remember?"

"Yeah that was before two weeks of squat," Dean said.

"Yeah well look, nobody said it was gonna be easy. You know the drill, in the meantime, we hunt. Check this out." Sam pulled out his iPad with the case information on it. "Naoki Himura. Said her little girl was attacked by an entity."

"Kid's in a coma."

"Yeah. Only site of trauma is what the mom is describing as a handprint from the alleged attacker. But no one else was in the house at the time, so..."

"So vengeful spirit? Poltergeist?" Natalia guessed.

"It's worth finding out. It's only a couple hours away."

"You really think now is the time to take our eye off the prize?" Dean asked.

"Dean we can't just sit around and - and wait for a lead. Plus, it would be nice to get a win, this case seems like a lay-up. That goes for you too, Nat."

Dean scoffed. "Yeah, when's the last time we had a lay-up?"

ST. ELIGIUS HOSPITAL

Dean, Natalia and Sam, in their FBI garb, questioned Naoki near the bed where Kat laid, unconscious.

"My wife is flying back, but her flight's been delayed in London, so..." Naoki's voice broke. "I'm alone in all this."

"Well, we're here to help however we can," Sam reassured.

"I appreciate that, but why would the FBI have any interest in this?"

"Just - doing our due diligence. You know what, why don't you go ahead and tell us about the night of the attack?"

"Nobody believes there was an attack. Even the internet thinks I'm crazy."

"Well we don't," Natalia said with a smile.

"Okay, well... Kat woke up screaming. I thought she was just having a nightmare. But she said she heard footsteps. And that she felt something - bad - in the house."

"Did you also hear footsteps?" Sam asked.

"No."

"Did you notice anything else? Cold spots, or flickering lights."

"Yeah, actually. The lights were out in her room. And it was cold in there. What does that mean?"

"Would you mind if we went and had a look at your house?" Dean questioned.

"Sure, yeah, if you think it's gonna help. There's a hide-a-key under a painted rock by the front door."

"Great. Thank you for your help," Sam said.

"Yeah, sure."

Sam, Natalia and Dean left as Naoki approached Kat. On Kat's leg, which was not covered by blankets, there was a dark bruise in the shape of a handprint.

NAOKI'S HOUSE

Sam, Natalia and Dean arrived in the Impala and started walking up the house's walkway.

The next-door neighbor was outside watering her plants. "Excuse me! Can I help you boys and lady?"

"Maybe," Sam replied. "Special Agent Rizer." Sam, Natalia and Dean held up their FBI badges. "These are my partners Special Agent Bean and Special Agent Etranzi, and we -"