2. Rockin' in the Free World

[Reichenbach]

June 1, 2003

A young Cole woke up in bed, hearing the sounds of a struggle downstairs. He left the room, following the sounds of fighting. He saw a body on the ground downstairs and recognized it as he got closer.

Young Cole rushed down the stairs, slipping on a pool of blood at the bottom. "Dad? Dad." His father's throat was cut. "Dad?!" He started crying. "Daddy."

Around the corner, came two figures. The taller one was holding a bloody knife. Dean and Natalia.

PRESENT DAY

In the barn, Cole was recounting the story to Sam who was still tied up.

"And that was the night Dean and Natalia Winchester murdered my father. And that's... that's why they're gonna die. I'm gonna kill her in front of him."

"I'm sorry," Sam apologized.

"I'm not looking for your sympathy, Sammy. I'm looking for your brother and sister. So, why don't you tell me where Dean-o and Nati are, and then I'll let you go."

"That's not gonna happen."

"Really? Now, you know you brother gave me the, uh, green light to put one between your eyes, right?"

"Dean and Natalia aren't... Dean and Natalia aren't Dean and Natalia right now. Now, look, I don't know who you are..."

"Name's Cole. Listen, Sam... Every night... since I was 13 years old... Every night, I close my eyes and all I can see is your brother and sister and all that blood... and my daddy. Now... I know Dean and Natalia are family and all, but he gave you up. She didn't say otherwise. And you have no reason to protect them -- none. So help me. Please."

"Look, I'm sorry about your dad. Whatever happened... Dean and Natalia had a reason. I don't know how to tell you this. There are monsters out there."

"You think I don't know that? I did two tours in Iraq. Special Ops, Darfur... The Congo. I've seen suicide bombers and child soldiers so hopped up on speed they could barely talk. Oh, but they sure as hell could shoot an A.K."

"Not that kind of monster."

"Don't tell me about monsters! 'Cause I've met my share."

"I mean vampires! Okay? Werewolves. The monsters under your bed. Look in the bags." Sam motioned with his head to the duffel sitting to the side. "Go on. Have a peek. It's right there."

Cole pulled a flask of holy water from Sam's bag. "I guess even psychos need to hydrate."

"It's holy water," Sam explained.

Cole rolled his eyes. "Holy cow."

"Look, I'm not a psycho. And I'm not lying."

"Well, you see, that's exactly what a psycho liar would say, so... see my dilemma?"

Cole set down his own backpack and pulled out a ball peen hammer. "I guess... We are just gonna have to do this the other way."

---

Inside a strip club in Kill Deer, North Dakota, Dean was watching a pole dancer and drinking. He reached up and touched her. Natalia stood back, rolling her eyes. She wanted to be anywhere but a strip club.

She slapped his hand away. "No touching. House rules."

"You sure about that?" Dean questioned, pulling a $20 bill from his wallet and laid it on the stage. He dared her with his eyes. "Go ahead. Pick it up."