Chapter 5 *

Haru's PoV

Back to the past.

It was a very normal day where I got up early in the morning and got ready for school. Today I had training again at the Iwatobi SC I was looking forward to it.

The doorbell rang, I ran down the stairs and looked my buddy Makoto in the face.

"Hello Makoto," I said in what might be a slightly subtle voice.

"Hello Haru-lein, let's go," he said happily.

"I said you shouldn't call me Haru-lein." "Oh yes, I'm sorry".

"Goodbye mom" I called when Makoto took my hand and ran away.

Fifteen minutes later we were at Iwatobi Elementary School, in class, and seeing everyone whispering back and forth.

"What do you think is going on?" Makoto whispered in my ear, I just shrugged my shoulders and sat down on my chair.

The teacher just came into class when Makoto wanted to see me. "Makoto-san sit down," she pointed to the vacant chair next to him.

"Oh, that's not my chair Matari-sensei," he said with a stammer and bowed slightly.

"That is not important, now it belongs to you", he nodded sadly and sat down on the chair.

"Well, children, before we start class, I have to tell you something, we have a new classmate," with these words a little red-haired boy with shark like teeth came into the class.

"Hello everyone," he said with a smile.

"My name is Rin Matsuoka and yes, I know this is more of a girl's name, but as you can see I'm a boy," he said and started to grin.

Then the whole class started laughing (except for me, I kept the monotonous expression on my face).

"Rin-san sit down next to Haruka-san," our teacher said to the newcomer in a friendly voice.

Rin, however, nodded vigorously and said "okay".

After he sat down next to me on the chair that Makoto always sat on, he spoke to me in a whisper, "Haruka?" "Don't call me that" "Oh.. Um.. Well, Haru?" "what" I said, slightly annoyed.

"You swim at Iwatobi SC, right" "Yes, why" "What do you think of it when we swim a relay together" "I only swim freestyle".

After that he annoyed me for the whole hour, the break and the hours after that we should swim together.

Me and Makoto met outside after school because he wanted to say something to a teacher.

Rin even followed me and Makoto to the Iwatobi SC, plus in, plus into the locker room.

He even put on swimming trunks and followed us to the swimming pool, where Nagisa ran after us.

"Haru-lein, Mako-lein," he yelled.

Behind him, Coach Sasabe yelled "Nagisa, I told you not to run on the edge of the pool", then Nagisa slowed down and said he was sorry (as always).

Coach Sasabe came closer and when he saw Rin he said "oh and who are you?" "Rin Matsuoka, sir" "You can make this a coach sir" "okay sir .. oh um coach," he said and grinned then.

So we started with the training and from then on Rin came every single training and when he wasn't swimming himself he would watch me.

I felt weird, but didn't pay much attention to him, but I still felt his close, chasing gaze on me.

Two weeks later, Coach Sasabe announced that the junior tournament would take place in two weeks.

I was stubborn as always, but Rin kept talking to me.

Two weeks later we were standing by the pool for the junior tournament. After the individual disciplines back, chest, butterfly and, as the last, freestyle, the relay would now begin.

I was about to go home because I had already swum my freestyle course and finished first, but I never really cared about winning or losing. I swim because I want to.

But then Makoto, Nagisa and Rin ran after me as if they had been following me the whole time.

"Stand still, Haru, please," Makoto said to me, "Haru-lein, please listen," said Nagisa and then Rin began to speak. "Haru, listen to me for a moment, if I don't convince you, I'll leave you forever alone, "he said, taking a deep breath in and out.

I looked unimpressed.

"If you swim with the others and especially with me this season, you won't regret it, I swear to you. I threw everything in my life away to swim a relay with you, even when I saw you swim for the first time I knew that there was something special about you "" hmpf "I sighed and was about to start talking, but Rin cut me off "I'll show you a view you've never seen before" after these words I knew that he meant it, because he held his hand forward and his eyes began to sparkle.

I don't know why, but I was so impressed that I slowly walked up to Rin and without even realizing it or being able to stop I reached for his hand.

He grinned at me, but something was different, it wasn't his normal grin, it was something special and directed only at me.

He didn't let go of my hand as far as the swimming pool and we had to run because the relay was about to start.

And so I swam my very first season just because of Rin and made a really good friend with it.

Rin wasn't lying, I don't know if it was because I got to swim with my friends, but it felt special and different.

We were the best team ever.

We won.

After we all got out of the pool and the award ceremony was over, Rin put his arm around my shoulder and Coach Sasabe took a photo.

I don't know what it was but my stomach and chest area got strangely warm when he did that, it felt good.