Chapter Twenty Four

“Why don’t you just stay here with us until your school year starts?” My mom asked as I began packing things; putting them in boxes, bags, anything that stored all my things.

                I glanced at her and tried my hardest not to make a face of disgust. Last night I had heard her and my dad… getting it on, downstairs, and it was absolutely awful to say the least. I would not be here for another episode like that; actually, I’d be going to my new apartment that I bought from the money I made while touring.

                The academy had been touring while taking auditions, so I learned that they weren’t really located in America, and they were actually located here in the UK. I was excited because I wasn’t too far away from home – or my friends – and being in a somewhat recognized area made me a bit less nervous. I wasn’t nervous about school work though… I was more nervous about making friends.

                And keeping my old ones.

                “Mom, chill.” I finally said, trying to think of an idea that wouldn’t make her realize I was just trying to get away from her and dad. “I just want to go off on my own for awhile.”

                She threw her arms up in exasperation. “You just did that with the tour!”

                I sighed. “That was different. I wasn’t really alone; I was with at least ten other guys. Mom, just trust me on this, alright?”

                She started to tear up. Maternal instinct obviously kicked in by then.

                This would be a long night.

~*~

                “I can’t believe this.” I said, completely and totally at a loss for words.

                My apartment was gorgeous.

                Liam walked by me with a bunch of boxes in his arms, the other guys behind him, grunting from the weight. I giggled, all of them throwing me a dirty look as I directed what room to put the boxes down in, still just looking around. It was prettier than the pictures; way prettier.

                A minute later, Liam slipped beside me and wrapped an arm around my shoulders, pulling me into his chest. I smiled, looking up at him and pecking him quickly on the lips. I know we said we were on a mutual ‘break’, but I thought of it kind of differently.

                It’s like, if you’re away at college but have someone you really love waiting for you at home, neither of you are going to be tied down to one another, but we probably won’t hook up with anyone close to wherever we are. But when we’re together, we’re together.

                It didn’t make much sense to me until I experienced it myself, but now it’s as clear as day. Liam and I were just understanding of our complicated relationship.

                “How do you like it?” Liam asked me, hugging me from behind as I looked out into the apartment, unable to believe that it was actually mine.

                I nodded, a huge smile on my face. “I love it. It’s perfect.”

                Slipping out of his arms, I grabbed his hand and we walked over to the family room, which had an entire wall made of glass windows. We stopped in front of one of the windows and looked out into the city, seeing every single beautiful thing in the UK that tourists come across the world to see.