Chapter Three

It was like the zombie apocolypse when I woke up. Everyone in the penthouse was shuffling around the room at two in the afternoon, which is around when we all woke up, groaning and rubbing their eyes. It was a one word explanation that applied for me, too – hangover. We were all nursing one, and it sucked considerably… especially since we were all about to be thrown in a room together with loud instruments and microphones.

                When I shuffled into the kitchen, I went straight for the refrigerator and was happy to see it was stocked – management probably set it up before we arrived. So, I grabbed a water bottle to match the two advils in my hand and sat down at the counter, downing the two pills in hopes that it’d ease my headache. Jon was floating around the kitchen and Niall was eating beside me at the counter.

                “I feel like death,” Josh groaned as he walked into the kitchen area.

                I folded my arms on the counter and rested my head in them, shutting my eyes and groaning back, “Shut up.”

                He chuckled, “Someone’s not good in the morning.”

                I lifted my head to glare at him, running a hand through my hair. “You’re too loud right now, I’m leaving.”

                Behind me, Niall muttered, “Me too.”

                I hopped off the stool and walked out of the kitchen, dragging my feet across the floor before I finally settled for the family room. Nobody else was in here – everyone was either in their rooms, the bathrooms, or the kitchen. So, falling onto the couch, I shut my eyes and took a deep breath as I felt the advil finally start to work to subside my massive headache.

                A phone started ringing on the coffee table, and I groaned as the headache instantly returned. Annoyed, I looked at the phone and realized it was Liam’s, and that his girlfriend Danielle was currently calling him. Not thinking twice about my actions, I picked up the phone and pressed “answer”, just wanting for the ringing to stop.

                “Hello?” I answered, then winced at how dry my throat felt.

                She paused, “Who is this?”

                Sheepishly, I said, “Sorry, I’m Mikayla, the new guitarist. You’re Liam’s girlfriend,” I stated, standing up and walking towards Liam’s room. “He’s sleeping, but he left his phone on the coffee table. I can go get him.”

                “He’s sleeping? Isn’t it two in the afternoon in California?” Danielle asked suspiciously.

                I laughed, “Yeah, we all kind of slept in today.”

                To my surprise, she laughed it off too, not seeing me as a threat as most girls would if another girl answered their boyfriends phone. “Oh, well thank you so much for getting him. I just haven’t talked to him since he left and I wanted to see how the hotel was. I’m Danielle.”

                I smiled, liking her easy-going attitude. “It’s no problem. Hold on and he’ll be right on the phone, okay?”

                “Okay!”               

                I put the phone against my leg and paused at Liam’s bedroom door. A spark of jealousy stirred inside me as I realized that was Liam’s perfect girlfriend that he loved so much. She was nice and gorgeous from the pictures I’ve seen, and I could just tell she was perfect all around from that short phone call. Again, jealousy gnawed at me for no reason.