~3~

Isabella

"He didn't kill me. I thought he would but then, he stopped." I narrated everything that had transpired between me and Don Walker's son to Lucas.

"I got lucky, didn't I?"

He looked over at the nurse that was tending to the bruises on my neck before facing me. "Luck? Luck has nothing to do with this, Isabel, something else went off."

"Then what do you think went off? I almost died!"

"I warned you, didn't I? You have no right to snap at me. Shayne is dangerous. That man fought his way through half of the military army, did you honestly think you could defeat him?"

"No I don't think, I know it."

"Stubbornness was what made your father walk right to his enemy's trap."

"And you think I am like my father?"

He crossed over to where I was seated and sat beside me. "Listen to me, Isabella. The only way you can get to Shayne Walker or even Slade, is by taking out the people they love, without being noticed. Taking on the people they loved will put them in a vulnerable position, before you know it, you'll get what you want."

My eyes lowered in defeat. "Why didn't I take him down? Why couldn't I kill him?"

"He would have killed you, if he hadn't torn your mask. There's a possibility that they're tracking your location right now. You aren't safe here. I've arranged a house for you twenty miles away. Just stay there and don't come out till I tell you to."

"Why?"

"Because your life is at risk! Damnit. Just do what I tell you to and don't put up an argument, okay? I only want you to be safe."

"Okay."

~

Shayne

"Shayne!"

I snapped my gaze to meet that of my elder sister, Selena who jumped from her car on seeing me. "Selena." I got down from my car and waited as she dashed into my arms. "Hey. What is it?"

She raised her head from my chest and looked into my eyes. "We heard something bad happened to you. That you were ambushed on your way back."

"Selena, I'm fine. Okay?" I cupped her face. "You need not worry about me. I can take care of myself. As well as everything."

She nodded. "Okay. I don't just like it when I see you with wounds." She said, eyes refusing to turn away from the bandage on my arm. "How did you feel?"

I wrapped my arm around her shoulder as we stalked for the mansion. "Well, it was nothing. Felt like a bee's sting then after a few seconds, it passed. It didn't really do any damage to my arm."

"But it still hurt."

"A little. Is father in?"

"I don't think so but.." the ringing of my phone interrupted and instantly made Selena's words come to a halt.