Realize (31)

Todd drove fast.

It was like they were in a movie Maxine watched: Fast and Furious. They arrived at Peter’s beach house at East Hampton, twenty-eight minutes past midnight. The others warmly greeted them and helped carry their bags to their rooms.

They were at a huge blue beach house; while the inside was painted bright yellow. The furniture looked modern and yet homey. The living room had a fireplace that was only lit at night, when it got cold. The second floor consisted of eight bedrooms in total — including the master’s bedroom.

The gang didn't stay up to chat, though. They went straight to bed right after Todd and Maxine arrived.

The next morning, Todd woke up by loud talking in the room.

“. . . are you joking? He owns a Lamborghini Reventón! That is something that I cannot easily set aside!” hissed Peter’s voice.

“I know,” replied Brian's voice calmly. “But it’s his birthday, Pete. Mention it after you wish him a happy birthday.”

Todd couldn't sleep anymore by the noise. Hence, he slowly opened his eyes and lifted his head.

“He’s awake!” announced Karl excitedly.

“What the hell, guys?” mumbled Todd sleepily, rubbing his eyes.

“Happy Birthday!” exclaimed Brian, Peter, and Karl.

“Oh, that,” groaned Todd, disappointed.

Karl frowned. “What do you mean by that?”

“It’s your birthday, dude!” said Brian, ruffling Todd’s tousled hair.

“It’s when there are cakes and babes!” added Peter.

“Pete, you’re the one who loves those,” countered Todd. “Not me.”

“Right,” nodded Peter thoughtfully. “Because you already love something else. Or should I say, someone,” he added, grinning.

Todd gave him a look. “Don’t start with me, Peter.”

Peter pulled up his hands by his chest defensively.

“Just lightening up the mood, man.”

Brian clapped his hands once.

“Okay, then!” he began. “Let’s go downstairs for breakfast, shall we? The girls are preparing the food.”

“After that, let's go swim!” declared Karl, throwing a fist in the air.

“Yeah! We’ll see hot girls in bikinis!” rejoiced Peter, going after Karl who already headed downstairs.

Todd sighed. This was why he hated his birthday. Everyone always treated him special even when he didn't want to be. A simple birthday was enough. Having a moment with his friends worth treasuring for was enough.

Brian smiled, sitting on the bed.

“Not to mention, you have to open your gifts.”

Todd chuckled. “Why do you always do the things that I don’t want you to do?”

“Because, my dear friend, the things that you don’t like me to do are the things that makes you feel special,” shrugged Brian.

“Brie! Todd! Get your butts down here so we can all eat! Karl and I are starving! Have some mercy!” complained Peter, calling from the bottom of the stairs.

“Come on! Let’s eat already!” pleaded Karl.

Todd and Brian laughed, starting to move. Brian went to where the others were, leaving Todd to put casual clothes on. Eventually, Todd followed to where everyone was at. The table in the dining area was filled with different kinds of food.