Realize (32)

When they came back, the gang was already preparing for a Barbeque Party. They were already in their swimming trunks and swim suits, their faces sharing the same meaningful grins when they saw Todd and Maxine approaching them.

Maxine kept head hair down and went straight to her room to change in her swim suit before going back down to join the others.

They had lunch outside, having the time of their lives.

Brian and Kim were swimming nearby. Karl and Jen were making a sand castle. Peter was flirting with a random pretty blonde girl. Todd was frying the barbeques, while Maxine was preparing the drinks.

“Excuse me.”

Maxine turned around to who spoke and saw two young women, probably nineteen or eighteen, smiling at her. One was dark haired, the other was pale blonde. They were both sexy and attractive.

“Yes?” said Maxine politely.

“Could you please tell us who that gorgeous guy is?” said the dark haired girl, pointing at Todd.

Maxine’s heart beat accelerated. She suddenly felt angry at these women for even looking at Todd. But maybe it was more of the fact that she was afraid that Todd might take interest in them.

She wasn't sure if she should tell the truth or lie. But at the end of the day, she was only one of the many girls attracted to him. What right did she have?

“His name is Todd,” she answered quietly, looking away.

The women giggled and beamed at her.

“Thanks a bunch!” they said in unison.

She watched them approach Todd from afar.

“Hi, Todd!” they greeted.

He raised an eyebrow at them.

“Do I know you?” he asked indifferently.

“’Course,” said the blonde. “She told us,” she pointed at Maxine.

His eyes slowly turned to where Maxine was standing at. He then glared at her.

She smiled feebly and mouthed, “Sorry.”

From then on, the two women didn't leave Todd alone. It was obvious that he was irritated. He tried to tell them that he was busy but they always seem to find a way to get him back. He kept glaring at them and surrounded himself with the unapproachable aura that he always used at Sky but it didn’t seem to work.

It continued like that until in the afternoon.

That night, Kim and Brian went into town. Karl and Jen were playing scrabble in the living room.

But Todd was missing.

Peter was missing, too.

Maxine stood at the veranda, facing the sea. She wondered where Todd was. And at the same time, she thought about the blue rock.

“Those hot girls where persistent,” panted Peter’s voice as he climbed the stairs of the porch. He settled himself at a nearby chair. “I tried to help Todd by flirting with them but they won’t budge. They seemed to be really interested in him.”

“I don't care,” she replied.

Peter looked at her. “Don't you?”

“Why should I?”

“We both perfectly know why you should.”

Maxine didn't say anything. She had a strong feeling that he knew. The Casanova side of him must know how to read girls.