Realize (21)

• Dedicated to Kim Duay Swinton

 “Brian . . .” gasped Kim, clapping her hands to her mouth.

Brian smiled. He and Kim went to the carnival that night.

“You still remember?” he asked.

Kim looked at him. “Of course, I remember!” she exclaimed. “This is the first place I ever had fun at . . . with you,” she added gently.

“Shall we?”

She nodded excitedly.

They went everywhere. They played every game. They rode every ride. They had the time of their lives.

At some point, Brian had to go and get some drinks. That was when Kim noticed a shooting game that if you shot all of the targets, you’d be able to win a stuffed animal.

She immediately went to the booth. She continuously tried to shoot all the targets but she would always fail. She was running out of pennies when a guy walked up to her.

“Need help?” asked the guy.

She looked at the newcomer and saw that he was tall, with brown hair and broad shoulders. He was kind of cute, if she said so herself.

He smiled at her, noticing her checking him out.

“Pardon me?” she said politely.

The cute guy chuckled.

“You look like you needed help,” he said, nodding toward the game. “Do you mind if I helped you?”

“Not at all,” she replied. “If you insist.”

“I do insist, actually,” he grinned. “I’m Gee.” He gave out his hand to her for a handshake.

He seemed a nice enough guy. She was about to take it when Brian came out of nowhere and took it before her.

“Nice meeting you, Gee,” said Brian. With the look on his face, it was quite obvious that he didn't mean what he said. He finally let go of Gee’s hand and said, “But you don’t have to do that.”

Gee looked from Brian to Kim.

“I see,” he nodded, grinning. “A piece of advice, though. And don't take this the wrong way, man. But next time, never leave a girl alone on a crowded place like this.”

Gee smiled at Kim one last time before finally leaving.

When he was gone, Brian faced Kim. He took the toy gun from Kim’s grasp and turned to the targets. He started shooting, and didn't miss once. Kim was still in daze when Brian gave her the prize.

“A little 'thank you' would've been nice,” said Brian, his brows furrowed.

“Huh?” mumbled Kim, coming out of her thinking. She looked at the stuffed toy Brian just gave her. “Oh, yes,” she breathed, looking from the big-sized monkey to Brian.

Brian smiled. “I wanted to be the one to give you this,” he added, pointing to the brown monkey.

“Thank you, Brian,” smiled Kim. She looked down at her shoes for a moment, and then looked straight at Brian’s eyes. “Brie, I have to tell you something.”

He waited.

She took a deep breath and said, “I’m going on a dinner date tomorrow.”

There were a few minutes of silence. Even though their surroundings were noisy, it was eerily quiet between them. None of them spoke. Then . . .

“I wish you the best of luck,” he said. He smiled his best, thinking that it was better to act that way.

She was slightly taken aback. Couldn't he at least be a little shock?