Realize (29)

“It’s Christmas! Wake up! It’s Christmas!”

Maxine groaned. She knew it was Alex that was shaking her so much and disturbing her in her sleep. It was too early to wake up. She wanted to tell Alex to go away but she was too sleepy to speak.

“It’s Christmas morning! Wake. Up. Already!”

Tock! Tock! Tock!

She faintly heard someone knock. He little brother finally stopped shaking her. She heard him walk toward the door and open it.

“Merry Christmas!”

“Merry Christmas, Todd!” exclaimed Alex loudly.

Maxine moved so fast that her head spun. As soon as she heard Todd’s name, she bolted to sit up from bed. She carefully turned her back to the door, so that Todd couldn't see her face. She certainly didn't want him to see her looking ugly in the morning.

“Finally!” sighed Alex, climbing back up to bed. He hugged Maxine and said, “Merry Christmas, Max!”

She smiled and hugged her little brother tightly.

“Merry Christmas, Alex,” she said. And then added, “You too, Todd.”

“Yeah,” yawned Todd. “Merry Christmas, haystack-haired girl.”

Haystack?” revolted Maxine, turning around to see the guy who insulted her. But he already left. “Who is he calling ‘haystack-haired girl’? That untidy-tousle-hairedboy!”

“PRESENTS!” yelled James quite loudly, from downstairs.

Alex’s eyes turned very round with delight.

“Presents!” he beamed, jumping out of the bed and dashing downstairs.

Maxine took that as her cue to go to the bathroom to wash up. When she looked in the mirror, she gasped. Her hair was standing everywhere and it looked like a haystack indeed.

Todd saw it.

He saw what Maxine looked like when she was freshly out of bed.

He, the boy of her dreams, saw it.

Maxine groaned again.

“Great. Just great.”

. . .

In a matter of minutes, Maxine went downstairs when she finished up. Alex was already half-way through finishing all of his gifts, while James was watching him.

Todd, on the other hand, looked at Maxine when she came in the room.

“I see,” he said, nodding impressively. “The haystack-haired girl vanished and was replaced by Max.”

She ignored him. She wasn't going to waste her Christmas morning bickering petty things with Todd. She actually planned to enjoy this morning.

“Our parents not home yet?” she queried, sitting down beside the Christmas tree.

“They’ll be arriving soon,” answered James.

“Thanks for the silver chain necklace, Max,” grinned Todd. “It was . . . nice.”

“If you didn’t like it, then give it back,” she said, scowling at Todd.

“I didn’t say that,” said Todd indignantly, chortling at Maxine’s reaction. “I just said my thanks, didn’t I?”

“You’re welcome, then,” she replied coolly. “Well — thank you again for the charm bracelet,” she said quietly, hiding her wrist which wore the bracelet.