Realize (38)

To explain, I've divided the Royal Ball in 4 parts so that the background music suits each. And also, so that the ending paragraph won't look out of place. You'll see why when you reach the end of this chapter. ;)

I'll update again on Saturday or Sunday, then another two next week. :)
Dedicated to @Forever_Asdfghjkl because she made me swear on the River Styx. ;)

_____________________

To Miss Maxine Ferguson
Crystal Life Condominium

Maxine blankly stared at the silver ribbon that embroidered her name.

It was Friday the thirteenth. The invitations for the Royal ball had already been sent to the attendees.

Maxine was staring at the golden scrolled parchment for a few minutes now. She wasn't used to receiving an invitation like that, for it was a very unusual kind. Eventually, she removed the silver ribbon that tied the scroll and flattened the parchment.

Dear Miss Maxine Ferguson,

   It is with our greatest pleasure to inform you that you have been invited to an annual event that will take place at the Grand Hall, Thompsons Hotel on the fourteenth day of February.

   Please be informed that a high end black tie dress code is strongly recommended. The time in which the Ball will start is at exactly 08:00 in the evening and will end at precisely midnight.

   We have been notified that you will be attending the said Ball with Sir Todd Zachary Samuels. This letter will serve as your pass to enter the venue.

Good day to you,
Mrs. Rose Thompson
Head of the Thompsons Events Department

A smile reached its way to Maxine's lips.

She couldn't deny to herself that she was excited about the Ball. Kim and Jen told her stories about it; Elite adolescents from different schools and families in New York attend the Royal Ball in hopes that they would be able to meet someone there.

She then recalled that the white gown that her mother showed her last year was still in her closet. She had to admit that she liked the dress, even though she acted quite horrified when she first set eyes on it.

It was sleeveless and it didn't show too much. It was simple yet it was very eye-catching. It fitted her personality perfectly.

While thinking about it, her eyes wandered again to the letter. It was then that she noticed Todd’s name on the invitation.

Her forehead creased.

Todd Zachary Samuels.

She burst out laughing. She never knew that he was named Zachary. Hmm. A thought came to her, maybe she should call him Zachary. She laughed at the thought. Hence, she made a mental note that she would call Todd by that name.

She absolutely couldn't wait to see his reaction.

It was the fourteenth day of February, and Maxine woke up late in the morning having been awake all night because of her eagerness to the Ball. She took a quick shower and dressed casually. When she walked in the living room, she found equipment for makeup, hair-dressing, and piles of gowns everywhere.

“Mom?” she called out, her eyes wandering around the room.

Natalie turned around and saw Maxine.

“Well, it’s about time,” sighed Natalie in relief. “Happy Valentine’s, sweetie. I’ve been waiting for you to wake up for hours now.”

“What for?” asked Maxine, finally looking at her mother.