Realize (11)

Back to school. Back to normal.

Thanksgiving was coming up. That morning, at the Sky Cafeteria, Maxine and Kim were talking about the November break when Josh joined them.

"Good Morning, Maxine and Kim," he greeted, flashing his pearly white teeth.

"Weren't you away?" wondered Maxine.

"Not yet," answered Josh, grinning.

Maxine and Kim exchanged looks. They were waiting for Josh to ask Maxine out yet again, but it didn't come.

"What happened to you?" asked Maxine slowly, after a long silence. "You're –"

"You're wondering why I'm not asking you out?" interrupted Josh, with a raised eyebrow. "Why? Do you miss it? Just kidding!" he added quickly when Maxine made a face. "Well, I wanted to take things slow. I don't wanna rush things up anymore. I figured that if I'm gonna win your heart, I have to be the best that I can be. I wanna be the guy that you deserve, if you give me that chance."

Maxine was speechless. Those were the sincerest and sweetest words that was ever given to her by any guy. She glanced at Kim. Kim looked like she was trying to read Josh's mind, but having a hard time doing it.

Was this the new Josh? If so, it looked like Maxine was going to have a hard time rejecting him again – and she might say 'Yes' if ever he asked her to go out this time.

☺    ♪    ☺    ♫    ☺    ♪    ☺

Brian told Todd what had happened in Chicago. He even told Todd what he was feeling for Kim – at least, what he knew he was feeling for her. He wasn't sure about anything anymore, that it frustrated him.

Todd listened to every word, without making interruptions or unnecessary facial expressions. He knew this day would come. It was only a matter of time before Brian and Kim's best friendship turned into something else. He saw it coming all along.

When they walked in the Sky Cafeteria, they saw Josh, sitting at their usual table with Kim and Maxine.

"I hate that guy," murmured Todd through gritted teeth. "Just seeing him makes my mood foul."

Brian abruptly stopped walking, almost making Todd crash into him.

"Dude, are you," Brian paused, hesitating, "are you jealous?"

"Jealous of what?" queried Todd, confused.

"Jealous of Mantle."

"Why would I be jealous of Mantle?" asked Todd, with a raised eyebrow.

"Because he can admit to himself that he's falling for Maxine," said Brian, shrugging. "While you – I'm sure – are getting hints that you're starting to like her. You're just too stubborn to admit it. You're jealous of him because, unlike you, he can freely express his feelings."

Todd blinked, then he burst out laughing. "Can you hear yourself, Brie? Me, starting to like Maxine? Seriously?"

"Yeah, you. Usually, you don't care about Mantle. But the moment he started pursuing Maxine, was the moment you"– he poked Todd's chest –"also started being pissed off at everything he does." He grinned. "So, you do like her."

"No offense, man," snorted Todd, "but that's the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. Let's just eat." With that, he walked toward their usual table and grabbed a burger on his way.

"If you say so," mumbled Brian, as he caught up with Todd.

They quietly joined Maxine, Kim, and Josh. Nothing happened. Todd kept his cool and calm mood as he saw Maxine, for the first time, interested to what Josh was saying.

Brian, on the other hand, was muffling his laughter. While Kim was noticing Todd's reactions and eventually learned what was the reason behind it.

When Josh left, Maxine stood up to get some more drinks. When she was out of hearing sight, Brian and Kim burst out laughing. Actually, Todd wasn't obvious that he was so much annoyed. However, knowing Todd their whole lives, Brian and Kim knew the reason why Todd was acting that way.

"This is the first time I've seen you like this," Kim told Todd, grinning. She stood up, and said through her giggles, "I'm gonna help Maxine bring the drinks."

"Dude, you're busted. Don't even think about denying it," Brian added quickly when Todd opened his mouth.

"I'm not the only one with love problems," muttered Todd, looking away. He looked at Brian and saw that he was staring at Kim. He sighed. "Look, why don't you just ask her out again?"

"It's not that easy," answered Brian, still staring at Kim who was talking animatedly with Maxine. "Wait . . ." He frowned, recalling what Todd said about love problems. He grinned broadly as he looked at Todd. "Did you just admit it?"

Todd cleared his throat. "Shut up," he said, frowning.