⚝Chapter Twenty Two⚝

Konno's stomach rumbled, matching the sound coming from the sky. The dark cloud that she saw yesterday had remained above her for most of the day and night and today as well. She wasn't sure if more clouds had joined the one from before, but she knew that they stretched across the sky as far as she could see.

She didn't want to think about the upcoming storm, though. Fear would occasionally race up her throat whenever the thunder would clap above her. But so far, the wind hadn't picked up yet and there was no lightning that would threaten her. She was safe for right now. She prayed to the Spirits above, but most importantly to her sister, that she would be okay until she got back home. 

Hawky quivered underneath the seat she was sitting on. He was hiding his head inside his wing, not even looking at the dark sky above them. Konno reached out and slowly lifted him into her arms. He shoved his head under her arm, and he squawked slightly at her. His voice rang out into the night, even though his squawk was on the quieter side. She was glad that there wasn't any noises out in the night, but it did get lonely sometimes.

"I know, buddy," she whispered gently to him. She stroked his feathers on top of his head, just like her mother used to do to her when she was younger. The only difference between the two was that he had feathers while she had hair, obviously. "It looks scary out there, but we'll be fine. I promise that you won't get hurt." Konno glanced up at the sky and saw that some of the dark clouds were floating away from her, revealing a sliver of the blue and orange and red sky that she loved. Night had started falling again, and the moon peeked out from behind the dark clouds. It seemed like the moon was going to be full tonight, making her spirits raise. Her sister heard her prayer and was looking over her, just like she always did before Yue died. "Look? It's getting better already."

Hawky slowly lifted his head out from underneath her arm and peered around them. The thunder had subsided, too, leaving just the sounds of her rumbling stomach and the water lapping around the boat. It looked like they were in the calm of the storm right now, which was good for her. She hoped that the storm would dissipate soon so she could get home faster.

"We're going to be alright," Konno assured Hawky. "Yue will take care of us. She always does."

The dark clouds shifted across the moon, making it look like it was winking at her. Relief spread through her chest at the sight of that. Of course she would be okay. Yue would take care of her and Hawky so they could get to the Northern Water Tribe safely. Nothing could stop her from getting home.

"We better go to sleep now," she whispered to Hawky. "It's nighttime, and all we can really do is sleep since there's nothing out here but us."

Hawky chattered to her before climbing down below her seat again. He usually slept there while she kicked her feet up on the side of the boat to sleep. She didn't really sleep that well because she was afraid of falling into the water while sleeping. 

"Goodnight, buddy. I love you."

Konno closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Her journey was almost over; she knew it. The air had gotten colder the closer she got to the Northern Water Tribe, chilling her down to the bone. She wished she hadn't given Sokka her bag because it held her parka. She was wearing her Water Tribe clothes, yes, but she didn't put on the furs or anything like that because it obviously was not cold where they were at. 

Suddenly, the wind picked up around her, whipping her hair around her head. Fear rose up in her throat the sight of the dark storm clouds churning above her. It felt like Konno was paralyzed as she stared out at the crashing water. Her heart hammered against her rib cage when she saw something appear on the horizon. It resembled a boat with a single person on it.