⚝Chapter Two⚝

Aang still hadn't woken up from his coma after a few days on the ship. Even after all of the healing Katara had instilled on his body, he still hadn't woken up. Katara would spend hours in his room, healing him. Konno could see the blue glow under the crack in the door, yet nothing was working.

As the days progressed, Katara looked more and more exhausted. However, there was a light in her eyes that wouldn't leave. It seemed like she was going to fight until her very last breath to heal Aang. 

"How are you doing?" Konno asked once Katara finally made her way out of Aang's room. 

Katara glanced at Konno and shrugged. "As good as I can."

Konno offered her a smile, hoping it would produce one on her face. "That's good. How is he doing?"

"Nothing really has changed," Katara said with a sigh. She leaned against the wall. "I just wish it would, you know? I want him to get better. I need him to get better."

Konno nodded. "Definitely. He never deserved what happened to him."

"It's my fault," Katara said softly. Her shoulders dropped, so Konno pulled her into a hug. "It's all my fault."

"How is it your fault?"

"I was so proud of him for finally mastering the Avatar state that I didn't even notice Azula getting ready to shoot him," Katara said sorrowfully. "I should've been watching to make sure no one was going to hurt him, but I didn't."

"Katara, this isn't your fault. None of this is your fault." Konno paused for a second, trying to figure out what else to say. Somehow, their relationship had done a 360 in the last couple of days. When Konno first joined their group, Katara was the one taking care of her. Now it was her turn. "There was no way you could've known about what Azula was going to do. You can't blame yourself for what happened to Aang because it wasn't your fault."

"I feel like the Spirits are punishing me for almost helping Zuko," Katara said miserably. "In the Crystal Catacombs, I was going to help him but then he betrayed Aang and me. I should have known then that Aang wasn't safe."

Konno pulled away from her embrace and sighed. "Do you really blame yourself for having compassion for another person?" 

Katara shrugged. "I feel guilty for a lot of things, Konno. It isn't just for what happened to Aang."

Konno remembered what Sokka told her that one night in Ba Sing Se, that him and Katara both felt like it was their fault that Yue died. That wasn't true, though, because it was the Spirits' doing that took Yue away. She chose to help the Spirits, and it was her duty to help the Water Tribe people. 

"Why don't we go talk in your room," Konno said, smiling encouragingly. "That way, only I will hear what you need to say."

Katara nodded, walking toward her room. Konno trailed behind but had to stop quickly or else she would have ran into Katara. "Wait," she said, turning around. Her eyes were lit up happily, making Konno frown. "You called it my room. Did you think that I wouldn't notice that?"

"I meant . . . our room."

"And where have you been staying for the past couple of days?"

"Oh, um, I've been staying with Sokka." Konno's cheeks flared with heat as Katara winked at her. "We've been sleeping in two separate beds and -"

"You don't have to be so embarrassed," Katara said with a laugh. "I don't care what you two do - or not do - because you deserve to be happy. And he makes you so happy."

Konno nodded awkwardly. "He does. But so do you."

"That's good because I'm your best friend," Katara said with a big smile on her face.