⚝Chapter Seventeen⚝

When Konno woke up the morning of the Invasion, a deep sense of anxiety coursed through her body like a strong wave, pulling her under the murky water of doubt and fears. Something buzzed in the back of her mind, reminding her to protect her heart and her mind from the pain. Maybe it was because Sokka told her he loved her. Every fiber in her being told her to get as far away from these people before they hurt her like others in the past. Yet she couldn't ever leave them. They helped her in more ways than she could ever imagine. Or maybe it was something else that made her fear the future, something else that she couldn't really put her finger on. 

The rustle of the papers pulled Konno out of her mind. Sokka was studying the three maps with intense concentration; he was wearing his Water Tribe gear. He looked very nervous as he swiped his hand across his forehead. Perspiration beaded along his skin, so she bumped his shoulder with hers. 

"Hey," he said with an easy smile. His eyes glanced down at her body, taking in her Water Tribe outfit. "I haven't seen those clothes in a long time. How does it feel being back in them?"

She touched her shirt absentmindedly while saying, "It makes me even more homesick."

Sokka tugged on her hand. "Don't worry," he said, lacing his fingers through hers. With his touch, the anxiety that was rushing through her veins seemed to slow down just enough for her to smile. "Today is the day that the war ends. Tomorrow, we'll head out to the Northern Water Tribe together."

"How are you so confident?" she asked him softly. "What if something goes wrong?"

"I've been preparing for this for a long time." Sokka shrugged. "Even though I can't stop thinking that something will go wrong, I have to believe in myself and what is planned. If I don't, nothing will go right."

Konno slipped her hands out of his as Katara handed her and Sokka cups of water. Katara was also wearing Water Tribe gear. Konno was the only one who didn't have any sort of armor or gear on because Sokka forbade her from fighting. For once in her life, she was okay with a male telling her what to do. She didn't want to fight anyone because she was afraid of dying. Even worse, she was afraid of killing someone. She didn't ever want to do that again.

"Top of the morning, Momo!" Aang said cheerily. He looked very different than when he wasn't sleeping. He looked more prepared for today than he was recently. 

"Sounds like you slept well," Katara said. Her lips twitched as if she didn't want to smile even though she looked happy.

"Like a baby mooselion." Aang jumped into an attacking position, saying, "I'm ready to face the Fire Lord."

"So, what's your strategy for taking him down?" Toph asked. She waved her fingers in front of her eyes. "Going to get your glow on and hit him with a little Avatar State action?"

Aang's good mood suddenly deflated, leaving him looking so dejected. "I can't. When Azula shot me with lightning, my seventh chakra was locked, cutting off my connection to all the cosmic energy in the universe."

Konno blinked. She glanced toward the sky and saw the moon slowly disappearing as the sun rose higher and higher into the clouds. If there was anyone who could help, it would have been Yue. She was apart of the universe now, being a spirit and all. 

"You know what I just heard?" Toph asked. She leaned back onto the rock where she was sitting, placing her hands behind her head. "Blah blah spiritual mumbo jumbo blah blah something about space."

"The spirits are real," Konno said. Her voice was even and steady. She didn't allow any of her anger to enter it. "Trust me. It isn't 'mumbo jumbo.'"

Toph sniffed. "Whatever."

Konno clenched her jaw and looked away from her. She shouldn't have been getting so angry at Toph. There was no need for her to waste that much energy on her. She sucked in a breath of the salty air, closing her eyes. When she opened them again, she frowned. Fog rose up on the horizon.