Sunday: King Maximilian

This morning, Katya breaks into my chamber while I'm getting ready.

"Princess! Excuse my rudeness. His Majesty is having a fight in the atrium as I speak!" Upon hearing her words, I immediately dismiss everyone, grab the nearest outer, and storm out of my chamber.

Anne joins me mid-stair-flight, her hair's nowhere nearly done, too. I try my best to keep my emotions in check, since my uncle's obviously lost it. But nothing prepared me for what I'm about to see.

"You've killed our last two kings! Isn't that quite enough? How could you run people's lives like it's nothing?! Just when will you be satisfied, huh?!" Restrained by Raphael and Jack, uncle shouts at the top of his lungs. His breath quickens, his eyes red and his whole body trembling.

Standing tall in front of him is King Maximilian, not at all looks the slightest intimidated. And when he speaks, he regards my uncle with pure satire. "Of course when the kingdom my beloved brother built from nothing crumbles into its origin—nothing."

"And massacre the entire palace in the process??!"

"If that's what it takes, but I see now that I've overestimated Primavara too much. A kingdom with an emotionally unstable king is bound to be brought down on itself."

"That's quite enough." I say sharply as I'm making my entrance. "A kingdom with an emotionally challenged king is no better."

He steps back to look at me and says mockingly, "Ah, princess. How generous of you to finally grace us with your presence."

Uncle Isaac opens his mouth, but I squeeze his hand and take over, "I won't have you disrespecting any member of my family in my palace. If you have nothing nice to say, Your Majesty, please kindly remove yourself from Primavara ground." I curtsy, calm but sternly.

"Is it wise, though? To miss your chance to learn about the chandelier accident?"

I smile coldly. "I get a feeling you'd tell me anyway. After all, grand display is exactly your scene."

"Smart girl." He nods in approval. "No wonder your king's being overprotective toward you. You're the only valuable investment around here."

I grit my teeth and smile. "If I may, Your Majesty. I wouldn't call myself an 'investment'."

King Maximilian laughs. "See, at first I thought Brandon would be the perfect cherry on top of my grand scheme, but then I found the better idea."

I fold my hands and roll my eyes. "I thought we're talking about how you're trying to rain crystals on me to pieces in front of Anne and Raphael's respectable guests?"

I might have crossed a line, since his face turns a little cold when his words send shiver down my spine, "Don't challenge me, princess. I assure you, I'm a command away to destroy what's left of Primavara. You can try me if you don't believe. Is that clear?"

"Crystal, King Maximilian. And please excuse my behaviour." I say politely, holding my head high all the while.

King Maximilian smirks. "Princess, rumour has it you got yourself a boyfriend. How very young and naive decision."

No. No, no, no. That label, no one else knows about it but us. No, not Raul. Please, anyone but my Raul ....

I can feel my tough front begins to falter, but there's no time to respond as the palace's gate being opened with a commotion.

"Please, let me through!" A frustrated Raul comes out of it, frantically finding my eyes before visibly relaxes.

But not for long.

A triumphant smile in his face when King Maximilian gestures to Raul and says, "How do you like my grand finale, princess? I'd personally call it: Nap, the not-so-charming prince."

Just like that, and my world crumbles to pieces.

The signs ... how could I miss all the signs? How his timing is always too perfect, how he seems to be everywhere. How his words are all too polished, like they're well scripted. How detailed the duchess knows about us, like it's all planned out.

The grand finale. How could I miss it?

Anne catches me before my feet give in, Uncle Isaac lashes out uncontrollably, and I can barely hear it when the king proposes, "What say we merge into one kingdom in marriage bond? If you know what's good for your people, princess, you'd surely accept it. But never forget, for the rest of your life, that my generosity is what saved your kingdom. Remember that, when you bear my pawn's child, that it is I, your parents' murderer, that spared your life."

If you can't count on yourself, who else is there?

Is it foolish to answer you?

No tears can find their way out of my eyes. No words can escape me. It's like the world stops for me, while everything else moves on. I let the pain seep in, little by little, as Raul just stands there in silence, eyes cold and jaw tight. Fortunately Raphael and Jack are holding my uncle back steadily, but what I don't expect is Anne trying to slap the Magnemt king in the face.

I don't need to think twice to take the blow. No, I won't have another family member being humiliated or worse, endangered by King Maximilian. I don't want to give him any excuses to get rid of what I have left.

King Maximilian steps back, looks at me appraisingly. Then, without another word, he exits the palace.

Leaving us with Raul and my very angry uncle.

"I should've known you were too good to be true! You bastard, you should've been an actor instead of a doctor! You're a disgrace!"

Yes, princess. It is.

"Uncle, stop." I press my temple in hopeless attempt to stop the world from spinning. Enough. I can't take any more of this. "Please."

"Baby, I'm so sorry. I should've been more careful. The missing piece ... I can't believe we've been betrayed by the one person I suspect the least." Uncle pulls me in his embrace, but I'm too numb to return it. "I'm such a failure, Jenny ...."

"J ...." Slowly, hesitantly, Raul moves to reach me, but Raphael quickly blocks him.

"Don't you dare, prince."

Anne pats my burning cheek gently. "Did it hurt, Jenny? I'm really sorry, I ... I couldn't stand him."

I couldn't care less.

Oh, great. This is infuriating. Other than the one thing I shouldn't care about, I really couldn't care less. Everyone and everything are just so ... trivial, so far away. For the first time since my parents died, I feel ... detached from this world. Like nothing matters anymore. So, I do the most logical thing my numb mind can think of: I block them all as I turn on my heels and walk away.