Saturday: Crown Prince Royce

Am I allowed to contact you everyday or only on Thursday?

Good morning, Raul.

I've missed you. Can I be your escort tonight?

Huh. Technically, you can. But give me one good reason why I should cross Prince Royce.

I'm not good with crowd. I'll be better with you by my side.

... Honestly, not my problem.

Ding! Another notification.

Don't worry, I talked to Royce.

Raul!

Determined not to let him get to my head, I ditch my phone and start getting ready for the day. Beside me, Katya, my lady-in-waiting, already recites my schedule for the day.

"... Afternoon tea with Queen Donna of Orinh, and then Princess Anne and Sir Raphael's engagement ball."

"Cut my afternoon tea short. I need to meet Princess Valerie for my final dress fitting."

"Understood, Your Royal Highness."

There's a soft knock on my door. "Jenny, are you decent?"

Don't know why he prefers to pick me up here than to wait for me downstairs like any normal guests. But then again, we've gotten past formalities years ago. He and his little sister Paige spent most of their childhood here in my palace, running around and playing pretend with me, the stable boys Timmy and Bertie, and sometimes Sherry, our gang leader, whenever she's off bodyguard training. I know, though I don't know why the palace's so much emptier back then. It probably took time for the court to warm up to my uncle, seeing as he had a not-so-posh lifestyle before taking over the crown.

Wild. He was wild.

Anyway, our little gang grew distant over time, over responsibilities and title, until inevitably dispersed when Paige eloped with Bobby, her palace's baker, a year ago. But I guess some of us just hold on to the memories a bit tighter than the others.

"Morning, Royce. Come on in."

"Your Royal Highness Prince Royce, you're not supposed to be here!" Hands on hip, Katya scolds him in vain.

Royce doesn't even look sorry as he apologizes. "Please excuse me." Then he turns to me, his expression darkens. "Sherry said some assassins paid you a visit last night?"

Ugh. It's too early for this.

"Just another day in palace. Nothing she couldn't handle, trust me." I mean, it's a good thing he's familiar with my palace and the people in it. But sometimes I just wish he's not that close with the head of my personal bodyguards. I swear I can sense a scolding's underway ....

"How many times has it been? Have you talked to King Isaac?"

Oh, here we come. "Oh, trust me, he's already updated. Sherry might look like some tough secret agent, but on the inside she's still our mother hen."

"Will you accept some of my trained bodyguards, just in case? I don't doubt Sherry, but even she can be outnumbered."

I glare at him. "No, Royce."

"The least I can do is to ask Timmy to keep an eye on you."

"It's a matter of life and death, Royce! You can't bring any fit guys without proper training into this."

"I taught him some moves. He's a fast learner."

"Royce, no! Let Sherry handle it, okay?"

Royce fixes me a worried look, but decides to rest his case for the time being.