Xuanhuan Fantasy

by basilisk142

by basilisk142

Xuanhuan is basically a mysterious fantasy, a genre of fictional stories that contain Chinese folklore/mythology with peculiar elements and settings. These novels are similar to Xianxia and Wuxia novels. It often doesn't have Daoism, which Xianixa has. They also could have other genres such as romance, comedy, action, adventure and etc... The settings are usually based in Ancient China. Most of the Xuanhuan novels, the ultimate goal of cultivation is to become powerful or seek revenge.

Some important terms to know are:

Qi – the vital energy which exists in all things. The cultivation of Qi is a major theme in Wuxia, Xianxia & Xuanhuan novels.

Magical Beasts – Animals capable of cultivation. Some are innately magical and simply grow stronger over time, while others must practice a cultivation method to grow stronger. They tend to be much more intelligent than regular animals, and some are capable of speaking in human languages. Magical Beasts that have reached a high stage of cultivation may even be able to take on a human form. These Beasts often possess a Core in their bodies that contains their essence or cultivation base. It's highly prized. The Cores are generally either consumed by cultivators (to grow stronger) or used in the production of magical items. Beast Cores are also sometimes called Neidan. Some novels give the Beasts slightly varying names such as Demonic Beasts or Spirit Beasts, but they're all essentially the same sort of creature.

Cultivator – a person who trains in martial & mystical arts, usually to become powerful and increase their longevity

Cultivator – a person who trains in martial & mystical arts, usually to become powerful and increase their longevity. Meditation and the cultivation of Qi are common practices among cultivators. Rogue Cultivators – "Loose Cultivators". Independent cultivators unaffiliated with any sect, clan, or other martial organizations. Devil Cultivators  – Also known as Demon Cultivators. Wicked cultivators who emulate Devils and seek power by any means necessary. They are often said to follow the Devil Path / Devil Dao, in opposition to the orthodox Immortal Cultivators.

Internal Energy – also called Inner Energy, Internal Strength, Internal Power, or Internal Force. The cultivated energy within a martial artist's body. Doing it, a martial artist can accomplish superhuman feats of speed, agility, strength, endurance, etc... It can even be used to heal wounds and nullify poisons.