High Fantasy

by matthewbrownstorie

The tales of high fantasy take readers on a journey to worlds of magic, wonder, and adventure. The majority of fans will agree that this subgenre begins with the man known as the father of high fantasy, J.R.R. Tolkien. He was, among many things, the author of The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. These stories are the baseline for high fantasy. Many authors have taken up the pen to give us even more. Let's take a look at a few elements that make high fantasy what it is.

First, we normally have a world similar to ours in that it is earth-like with mountains, lakes, trees, and fields etc

First, we normally have a world similar to ours in that it is earth-like with mountains, lakes, trees, and fields etc. In addition, there is this wonderful thing called magic here! Also, there are different races and creatures in the imaginary world that further distances our world from theirs.

"Yes," said Aragorn, "we shall all need the endurance of the Dwarves. But come! With hope or without hope we will follow the trail of our enemies. And woe to them, if we prove the swifter! We will make such a chase as shall be accounted a marvel among the Three Kindred: Elves, Dwarves, and Men. Forth the Three Hunters!"
-Aragorn, The Two Towers.

There are many races that high fantasy stories cling to, but let's discuss some of the classic ones. First, we have humans who let us, the reader, enter the world and make believe that we could actually live in this fantasy universe the author has created. Next, we bring in the elves. Much of the light and magic of high fantasy comes from the elven race with their pointed ears and amazing feats of grace. Dwarves are stout warriors and crafters usually dwelling under mountains. They are known for their own magic, humor, epic beards, and the mining of precious metals and gems. Hobbits, or halflings, are a much smaller version of humans. Albeit a bit sneaky, they are just regular folk who like a comfortable bed and food and drink and books—very relatable to the average reader. Together, or alone, characters like these go on extraordinary adventures and the author shows us the very bright world with the darkness that is trying to take it over.

"My armour is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!"
-Smaug, The Hobbit.