Gaslamp Fantasy

by joanneweaver

by joanneweaver

Greetings! I have a story to tell you. It's a tale about foggy old cobbled streets, eerie in the orange glow of the gaslights. If you listen closely, you'll hear the clatter of horse hooves and carriage wheels. You might even hear the distant beat of dragon wings or a mad doctor resurrecting the dead. That's right, it's the story of Gaslamp Fantasy. Let's step back in time to an era when gentlemen tipped their hats, and rich ladies drank tea in their parlours. A time when the poor wore rags and made matchsticks for a living. It's the 1800's, and Europe and America have entered an industrial revolution.

The Gaslamp Fantasy genre has all the traits of Historical fiction, but with one big addition: Magic and the supernatural! This fun subgenre is slowly gaining popularity. In fact, you probably know one or two Gaslamp stories. Some of the most famous are Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Barnaby Grimes, and Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices. These are the supernatural and dark-magic Gaslamps, found at the darker end of the spectrum. At the opposite end, you'll come across whimsical tales of magic such as The Secret of Moonacre, Howl's Moving Castle, and Neil Gaiman's Stardust.

Whether the theme is magic spells or monsters from the underworld, all Gaslamp Fantasies have a Victorian-style setting, embellished with the European culture of the era

Whether the theme is magic spells or monsters from the underworld, all Gaslamp Fantasies have a Victorian-style setting, embellished with the European culture of the era. Secrets, mysteries and twists are also common to the plot. I've already mentioned the genre can vary in tone, and atmosphere is key in the dark stories. Imagine the grimy streets and the shadowy back alleys of Jack the Ripper's London. It's the ideal setting to encounter a ghost or demon. In contrast, the lighter Gaslamps can be sprinkled with colour, wit, and old-fashioned charm. Quirky magicians are at home here, and characters often fall under enchantments. Some Gaslamps manage to land nicely in the middle.

So when did Gaslamp Fantasy become a genre? Back in 2001 when a comic book called Girl Genius arrived. It was set in Victorian-style Europe, and the heroine, Agatha, became entangled in adventure, romance and mad science. It was immediately labeled as 'Steampunk' (the charismatic, gadget-obsessed older brother of Gaslamp). However, co-creator of the comic, Kaja Folio, insisted it wasn't Steampunk, and invented the term 'Gaslamp Fantasy'. And so the title for the genre was born.