Mannerpunk or Fantasy of Manners

by Ange_Ackerman

by Ange_Ackerman

The term "Fantasy of Manners" was first coined by Ellen Kushner, the author of the Swordspoint series, and one of the modern pioneers of the genre. Understandably, the genre often gets confused with Steampunk, since certain elements may overlap. However, Mannerpunk often places greater emphasis on society norms rather than epic adventures or retro-technology (which pure Steampunk is well-known for.) Characters often engage in battles of wit and manners, rather than weapons—except for the occasional gentleman's duel.

An article I read once summed "Mannerpunk" up as "Jane Austen meets Fantasy" which I believe is the easiest way to explain it in a nutshell. Quite a few Mannerpunk works are set in the Regency period of England, but they can take place in yet another time period or even an alternate country or world, as in the case of "Swordspoint." Also, while Austen may be one of the authors that writers in this genre often look to for influence, some others may draw inspiration from other Classic-era writers as well.

Below are some published books which can be classified under this genre:

The Gormenghast series by Mervyn Peake

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

Sorcery and Cecilia by Caroline Stevermer

The Stranger at the Wedding by Barbara Hambly

Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell

Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho

The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison

Captive Prince by C.S. Pacat

The Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger

The Glamourist Histories series by Mary Robinette Kowal