Young Adult Fantasy

by AntheaSharp

by AntheaSharp

Young Adult Fantasy is generally targeted to the market of readers between the ages of 12-18, but many adults enjoy reading YA fiction, as well. The fast-paced stories and deep emotional undercurrents that are important to young readers make for fun and compelling reads that all ages can enjoy. The Harry Potter series, for example, was widely read by a huge cross-section of the populace, from young to old alike. In fact, the first two HP books are often classified as Middle Grade, due to the age of the characters.

In general, two elements distinguish YA fantasy: younger protagonists, and a very strong coming-of-age theme. The hero or heroine faces challenges that test their own sense of self, and emerge stronger, more mature, and wiser. JRR Tolkien wrote The Hobbit for younger readers, and while Bilbo isn't exactly a teenager, his tale of "growing up" as he undertakes a journey into the wider world is a classic trope of what is now defined as YA fantasy.

 JRR Tolkien wrote The Hobbit for younger readers, and while Bilbo isn't exactly a teenager, his tale of "growing up" as he undertakes a journey into the wider world is a classic trope of what is now defined as YA fantasy

Much of heroic fantasy follows the coming-of-age archetype – and in fact, Young Adult literature as a genre unto itself is a fairly new invention. Many early works of fantasy would now be classified as YA, when at the time they were simply published as fantasy for a wide, mostly adult, audience. It's natural to want to read the classic themes of fantasy adventure: going on heroic journeys with interesting characters that leave those characters (and by extension, the reader) wiser about themselves and the world they live in.

Another hallmark of young adult fiction, particularly that aimed at older teens, is a fair amount of emotional anguish. Teetering on the cusp of adulthood, many teenagers are fraught with self-doubt, questions about their place in the world, and keenly felt desires. YA books that tap into those emotional currents resonate strongly with their target readers, whether dealing with first love and its loss, betrayal, yearning for self-knowledge, or craving for something much more.

The "chosen one" theme is another underpinning of YA fantasy, fulfilling many teenagers' (and adults') secret wish to be extraordinary and special in ways outside the usual mundanity of their lives. Harry Potter exemplifies this trope, as does Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series, The Percy Jackson books, Anne McCaffrey's Harper Hall Trilogy, The Blue Sword (and The Hero and the Crown) by Robin McKinley, and countless other books and series.