Futuristic Fantasy

by SamMaze

by SamMaze

In the Futuristic sub-genre of Fantasy, writers can reach for the stars—and grab them.

Think of everything you know, and make it faster. Smarter. Smaller. Now you have an idea of what could be.

This sub-genre is not to be confused with Sci-Fi or topics involving space but is a cousin to them. Dystopian could be considered its angry twin. The Futuristic sub-genre takes an idea and propels it years ahead where it becomes part of normal life. Magic and technology can mix, which can form a tempting menu of opportunities. Imagine living, thinking trees wrapped around a metropolis, tamed dragons flapping above sleek trains and coffees that modify your hair color. Changes can be as large or small as you wish.

Probably one of the best things about Futuristic Fantasy is that you never know what to expect

Probably one of the best things about Futuristic Fantasy is that you never know what to expect. There are no set guidelines, no defined boundaries that scream This is what you do! Although some reoccurring themes include:

*The setting in an urban/underworld environment.

*Strong teen characters to appeal to YA readers.

*The questions of what leadership/humanity is, and what the community has gained and lost in the future.

Legend and its trilogy by Marie Lu are filed under Futuristic Fantasy, among others, due to its take on a world gone both forward and backward. Her streets lack continuous electricity and medical help for a growing plague, but at its elite core residents have access to powerful tech with advancements that are near-magical.

Another Sun is a short story by Maggie Stiefvater in the anthology The Curiosities. Here, she explores the magic and danger of fires that never go out. In this same book, she also has the short story Heart-Shaped Box which takes on a dark city and (literal) hearts. These are in Futuristic Fantasy for their narrative of strong YA characters in a new world, and the choices that can be made to change it.

The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau tells the plight of an underground city falling apart, and the protagonists that must find a way to save the dim magic of their home before it destroys them. Fast action, mystery, and adventure surround scenes like a movie, but Ember takes its place in Futuristic Fantasy for the rediscovery of modern technology in a place set far beyond our time.