CHAPTER NINE

(A/N: Picture has nothing to do with the chapter I just like it. That's how I picture, Kaida's dragon.)

The three of us walked into the house and washed our hands before sitting down and having dinner. Lee began to tell them what happened in town today and I looked at him wishing I could slap a child.
Did he really have to talk about everything?

"Oh my, you must have been terrified." Sela spoke worried.

"Oh no. I can fend for myself, believe it or not, but I didn't have to because my boyfriend showed up just in time." I smiled.

"You must be proud of him." She smiled and I nodded.

"Like I said. I can fend for myself." I repeated.

"Of course she can." Zuko said. "But like she said, I was there at the right time."

We continued to talk over dinner mainly about the angel bandit and Lee was estatic about a waterbender being so powerful in the desert. Once we had finished I helped Sela wash the dishes.

"Thank you for letting us stay another night." I said as I was heading out. "It's very much appreciated."

"It's no problem dear." She replied.

I said a quick good night and went back to the barn. Zuko was laying on his back like he was sleeping and I thought he really was since he had spent most of his day in the sun but he let out a sigh.

"We leave early tomorrow morning." Zuko said.

"I liked it here." I smiled and let myself fall next to him, a few strands of hay flying up.

"Can you stop making a mess and go to sleep?" He muttered and closed his eyes.

I glanced at him looking at his scar. How could he still want to go back after what his father did to him? With his mother gone and Iroh gone right now who will protect him then?

"Remember how I healed your face when we left the North Pole?" I asked rhetorically as I sat up and he hummed. "I didn't think I could heal your scar but I think if I try maybe-"

"It's a scar, Kaida!" He yelled and I jumped. "You can't heal a scar!"

"You don't know what I can and can't do!" I yelled back we glared at each other but I sighed and laid on my side.

"I'm so..sor.." I sat up and looked at him as he tried apologizing and he glared away. "I didn't mean to yell at you."

"I know." I said. "But you're right, we should get some sleep."

"Try it." I looked at him. "Pl..please?"

I nodded and gathered water around my hand. I placed it over his eye and it began to glow only it wasn't healing. I put more power into but it still didn't heal, he was groaning at the pain and pushed my hand away.

"I'm sorry." I apologized.

"You tried." He muttered. "I knew it wasn't going to work so I didn't have my hopes too high."

"Right.." We laid down.

After a while. I got up and went back to the town, I sat on the roofs of houses and shops watching and waiting. When I heard Gow I watched him and his goons with a smirk.
I gathered the little water in the air and shot at them before they could steal from someone. I jumped down dodging Gow's earthbending hits.

"You again." He growled.

I rolled my eyes. "I thought I told you to leave these people alone. You're supposed to protect them not bring them down."