CHAPTER ONE

We had made it to a Fire Nation Colony after drifting for three weeks or so. On our little trip I was more focused on practicing my waterbending than the actual drifting, I noticed as we floated and I waterbended I felt safer and much happier and I knew exactly why.
   When we got here I focused on Yoshiro, I was surprised I didn't bawl my eyes out. I wouldn't let the tears fall until I was alone or when Zuko and Iroh were asleep. That only got me thinking about my siblings and the betrayal they must be feeling.

   I was laying back on the grass looking up at the blossoms on the tree but when I heard Iroh's voice I turned my head towards them.

   "This is what I've been missing." Iroh sighed as he was laying on the table getting a massage. "Who knew floating on a piece of driftwood, for three weeks with no food, no water, and sea vultures waiting to pluck out your liver, could make one so tense.
   Kaida, would you like to get a massage? They're wonderful and quite relaxing."

   "No, thank you." I replied sitting up on my elbows, the breeze blowing through the hair outside of my braid.

    Iroh walked over to Zuko who was sitting against the wall. "I see. It's the anniversary, isn't it?"

Anniversary? I looked at them but quickly looked away because I didn't want them to know I was listening, even if it was impossible not to.

   "Three years ago today, I was banished." Zuko told him. "I lost it all, I want it back. I want the Avatar, I want my honor, my throne, I want my father not to think I'm worthless."

  "I'm sure he doesn't." Iroh responded. "Why else would he banish you if he didn't care?" I cringed at what Iroh said and watched Zuko stand up and walk past me.
   "Ooo that came out wrong, didn't it?" Iroh asked and I glanced at him looking back at Zuko walking away.

   "Iroh, Do you honestly think Zuko, can change?" I asked and he only smiled. "I'll take that as your way of saying yes."

   I ran out, following Zuko until I was striding by his side, he didn't slow down or acknowlede my presences. "Do you want to talk about it?" I asked.

   "No, I don't want to talk about it, now leave me alone." He said calmly which left me shocked, a smile crossing my face. "I've only seen you ever smile once." He pointed out.

   "I've never seen you smile either." I replied then looked ahead a hint of sadness filling my body. "I hear smiling can be contiguous."

I smiled even wider but he just faced forward and started walking as if nothing had happened. The smile quickly fell off of my face as I stared at the back of his head, more like the back of his hat.
   I was only smiling because I made the promise to Yoshiro. If I wanted to make myself useful I had to believe Iroh, I hoped that Zuko would change if I tried hard enough to encourage him, I needed to be a friend. But that would be hard considering who my target is. It wouldn't be bad to actually see him smile for once.

⇢ ⇢ ⇢

   "Look at these magnificent shells! I'll enjoy these keepsakes for years to come." Iroh said holding up the beautiful seashells.
We had just gotten back from the beach, I had agreed to go with him because I could see that Zuko wanted to be alone.

   "We don't need anymore useless things." Zuko told him. "You forget, we have to carry everything ourselves now."

   "They're just seashells, it's not like they're anviles." I said showing him a shell that I picked up. It was a tiny pale pink one. "Here, consider it a gesture for a clean slate between us."