Chapter 20: Rescue Mission

"Alex, wake up!" Y/N said as she shook him awake.

He woke up to hear the people chanting his and Y/N's name, but looking around, his enclosure was fenced off.

"Y/N, what's going on?" Alex asked.

"We're back in our enclosures. They've caged us off like we're prisoners," she answered.

"Oh no," he gasped.

"Alex? Y/N? Where are you?" Marty called.

"Gloria! Are you okay?" Melman asked as Gloria struggled to get out of her drained pool.

"What is happening?" she asked.

"Alex! Y/N!" Marty yelled.

"No, no! No, no!" Alex said as he and Y/N ran up the rock.

"Alex the Lion and Y/N the Lioness!" the announcer said.

Y/N and Alex ran up the rock to see everyone cheering for them, but they turned around to see their friends, upset of what was going on. The siblings looked at each other and Y/N started crying, making Alex give her a  comforting, brotherly hug.

"What are we gonna do, Alex?" she asked, her face in his chest.

"I...I don't know," he answered as he rubbed her back soothingly.

"Thank you. Thank you all for coming to this special celebration. And now, the woman who made this all possible, who brought Alex the Lion, Y/N the Lioness, and a couple of...three?" the announcer started, questionably at the end, then continued, "Three other animals back to New York. And she's French. Ooh la la. Please welcome Chantal Dubois!"

Then Dubois came up with a brief case and smirked at the siblings, who were nervous. She got to the stand with her men on either side of her and she was given a check for a millions dollars..., which she ripped in half, shocking everyone. She dropped the torn check down and opened we briefcase without anyone seeing.

"Alex? Y/N?" Marty called.

The siblings took a better look at what was in it: a poison dart. The siblings were immediately scared. She put it in her gun, placed an Alex foam finger over it, then tapped the mic.

"It was never about the money. It was about..." she started, raised her foam finger in the air, then finished, "the lions."

At that, Alex felt he knew what he should do.

"Y/N, get down and get behind me," he told her.

"But--" she objected.

"Please. No argument," Alex said sternly.

Y/N hesitantly obeyed as Alex raised his paws in the air and Dubois aimed and fired. As the dart got closer, someone swooped in, grabbed Alex, and whisked him away as the dart hit the light of a lamp post. Alex then looked up to see his savior.

"Gia?" Alex questioned happily.

"Circus stick together," Gia told him with a smile.

They then looked beside them to see the circus in the air, making Alex and the others smile as the recording of Marty singing play.