Chapter 12 - Not So Normal

So this happened... Tw: u!Patton.

Logan's PoV

Everything seemed to have returned to normal. The decorations were put away. No one came to my room with coffee and cards. Patton and Roman were cooking pancakes while Virgil sat on top of the counter. They did seem quieter than usual, but I barely noticed. I made coffee and sat at the table seeing as how they were almost done cooking. I was thinking too much about last night to notice just how quiet they really were as we ate. Not until I stood up to go to my room anyways.

The three take traits kept their gazes down and didn't say a word. I paused only for a moment before humming to myself and going upstairs. I suppose they weren't in a talking mood. Although that was a bit strange...

Not long after I sat at my desk, Patton entered my room without knocking as usual. He sat on my bed and stared at me. Tension filled the space between us. I shifted uncomfortably in my chair as I debated whether to ignore him or not. The silence and his blank stare was unnerving to say the least. Finally, I cleared my throat to speak, "Do you need something, Patton?"

"I just find it kind of funny..." Patton stood up and walked over to my desk. His voice wasn't its usual cheery tone and there was no humor to support whatever it was he found funny. He stopped the Newton's cradle on my desk from moving, keeping his eyes on it.

"What do you find funny?"

"How kids don't listen. You tell them that things are dangerous and yet they ignore you. You tell them the stove is hot, but they want to know for them-self. So they touch the stove and burn them-self. You tell them to stay away from strangers, but they still go up to them."

I wasn't sure where this was going. All I knew was that I didn't like it.

"I also think it's funny how you can take care of kids and love them so much, but they disobey you anyway. Well, some kids learn and others don't. Some might go through a rebellious phase but come crawling back. Some stay in their phase until they're too scared to come back. Some kids just like to break their parent's heart. Which one are you, Logan?" He looked at me, staring into my eyes with no emotion.

"Me?" I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion and tilted my head a little to the right.

"I have always taken care of you. I do everything for you. I have loved you unconditionally. But for some reason, you go against my warnings and break my heart in the process. Have I not done enough for you? Did I punish you too many times or too harshly? What did I do that could drive you to betray me?" Emotion finally filled his eyes. He looked like a hurt puppy.

"Patton, I don't know what you mean-"

"Yes, you do! I told you to stay away from the dark sides! Then you spend the night with them!? Virgil showed me the note and told me how you had been talking with them! How could you do this to me? I love you so much but you don't even care! Those villains don't care about you! They're just using you and soon they'll throw you away like a broken toy! They did it to Virgil and they'll do it to you!"

Note? Did Virgil find Remus' note before me?

"They are not villains. Don't believe everything Virgil told you because I know they didn't 'throw Virgil away'. They care about him and miss him. He left them and it hurt them so much they can't even talk about him!"

"So you'd believe them over your own family!?"

"Family!?" I stood up, meeting Patton's glare with my own glare. "We are not a family, and you are not our dad no matter how much you want to be! You only care about Virgil and Roman! And they only care about you because you manipulated them! You punished and guilt-tripped them until they gave in and became your 'children.' I have always been ignored by you until I did something you wouldn't approve of. Then you would ground me and ask why over and over. I accepted the role you placed on me until now. I will not be guilt-tripped by you anymore!"

"We are family! And how dare you-"

"Well, I don't consider you my family." I turned around to walk out, but he grabbed my arm.

"Where are you going? Why do you insist on breaking my heart?" Patton sniffled and hugged me. "You can't do this to me. I love you so much."

"You don't love me. You just want me around so you can feel better about yourself." I pushed him away and left my room. Virgil and Roman were sitting on the couches and looked up as I came downstairs. Patton ran down in front of me, preventing me from going to the door.

"Logan, please, you can't leave."

"I can do whatever I want. You do not have control over me." I walked around him and up to the door separating us from the others.

"Get back here or I'll-" I entered the others' living room and shut the door behind me. Tears welled up in my eyes as I locked the door. What do I do now?