Chapter 2 - Mindscape

TW: one mention of blood (or is it paint?)

Logan's PoV

The others' side of the mindscape was not what I expected. I never liked Roman's titles of dark and light, but I suppose I did begin to expect them to have some lair like cheesy villains in cartoons. But the environment was actually quite inviting. It was a little cold, but that just meant curling up in sweaters with a warm beverage. The living room was lit up by fairy lights in jars placed around the room. The kitchen had jars full of fireflies that were much brighter than normal fireflies. Paper lanterns lined the ceiling of the hallway that I assumed went to the bedrooms. It was... cosy.

"I'll clean up, Janus can get stuff ready, and Logan, you can explore if you want!" The two separated. Remus hopping down the hall, and Janus going into the kitchen. I decided to go down the hall first. The first door was plain black and led to a bathroom, even though each bedroom in the mind scape had its own bathroom. But it was ideal for guests and when spending time together outside of their rooms. I was a little disappointed with the normal light on the ceiling.

The second door was black with Janus' snake logo on it. I decided to respect his privacy, even though I was a little curious. The third door was splattered in different shades of green and a few other colors. Well, I more hoped the red was paint rather than blood. It was cracked open with weird smells wafting out. I pushed on the door a little and peered inside. I was honestly surprised to hear Remus loudly singing in the bathroom with the shower turned on. The room was very messy. There were a couple tanks and a cage on the dresser. The tanks held a squid and an octopus while the cage had a couple rats. Weapons were hung on the walls and carelessly thrown on the floor. Clothes, wrappers, blankets, plushies, a mannequin, and creepy dolls littered the floor. There were lava lamps placed around the room, one strand of fairy lights on one wall, and a black light above the bed. It turned the black bedding green... I shuddered a little.

Moving on, the next door was black with gray stripes. It looked similar to Virgil's old jacket. I knew it had to be his old room. I wondered what it looked like and reached for the handle.

"That room is off limits." I jumped a little at Janus' voice. I stepped back and turned to face him. He stared at the door with an emotion in his eyes I couldn't define. I wasn't good with emotions, but I knew enough to know there was something in his eyes.

"I apologize. I was not aware."

"It's fine. You know now." Janus turned on his heel, facing back the way he came. "I don't know what you like to eat, so I would appreciate your help with the food."

"Oh, of course." I followed Janus back to the kitchen and helped him pack food into a black basket. He left to grab a few other things while I was making the last sandwich. Remus entered the kitchen not long after and jumped onto the counter.

"Like our basket, Lo? Janus made it! One time, I reaaaalllyyy wanted to go on a picnic like they do in the movies! So, Janus locked himself in his room all day. When he came out, he had made this basket! We packed up, and I made a nice spot in the Imagination for us to sit. It was really fun! Wasn't it, Jay-Gay?"

"Yes." Janus laughed softly at the name and set another similar basket on the counter. "It was a very nice time."

"He also made this basket! One for food, and one for other stuff!"

"Other stuff?" I set the last sandwich in the basket.

"Yeah! Jay usually puts a book in there. We sometimes take this little radio. Virgil made a blanket-"

"Remus, would you be a doll and find the pillows? They weren't in here."

"Okie-dokie!" Remus ran out of the kitchen. I glanced over at Janus. I wanted to ask about Virgil but knew it didn't seem like a good idea. Maybe another day.