Chapter 8 - Surprise

Logan's PoV

Waking up wasn't ideal. My body was stiff and ached from falling asleep at my desk. Every joint popped as I stretched out. My neck was especially sore. A shower was definitely needed.

The week had gone by slowly. Well, it can't go fast or slow, but it certainly felt slow. I had barely left my room and never spoke to the others. It made me realize how mundane life was before I wandered through the divide. Remus and even Janus had made it more interesting. I think I missed them...

Leaving the connected bathroom, I was a little startled to see Virgil standing by my desk. He set the coffee mug in his hands down and jumped when he saw me. "O-Oh, sorry, Logan. I was just- um... I'll let you get dressed."

He turned on his heel and left my room. At least I had a towel wrapped around me. When I was dressed, I opened my door to find Virgil standing there still. "So, uhhh, you like Slap-Jack? Or any other card game?"

Virgil held up a deck of cards. I preferred Solitaire but spending time with someone didn't sound so bad. Even if it was the same trait who had not been very kind to me a week ago. I nodded and let him inside. "I also brought you coffee. Which in my defense, I knocked before coming in. I just didn't expect you to come out of the bathroom so soon..."

"It's alright, Virgil. No harm was done. So, why are you bringing me coffee and wanting to play card games?"

"Well, I... Look, I'm sorry about last week or whenever it was... I lost track of time to be honest. I don't like bringing up the past, but I shouldn't have been so mean. I mean what I said. Buuut I could've handled it better. Uh, forgive me?" He fiddled with his jacket sleeves.

"You are forgiven." I nodded. That's surprising. They don't apologize often... What is going on?

"Sooo... What game ya wanna play?" Virgil sat on my bed and started shuffling the cards. I pulled my desk chair over to the bed.

"We could play at the table-"

"No! Uh, I mean... I would rather play in here. At least Princey won't butt in. And if we play Slap-Jack, I won't scare myself by slapping the table too hard in excitement." Virgil forced a smile, "So what game?"

"Well, I've never played Slap-Jack, so I suppose that."

"Okay. The game's easy. Get the entire deck by slapping the Jacks and I think doubles...maybe... Let's just focus on the Jacks for now."

A short while later, Patton knocked and entered the room. "Hey Kiddos!"

Okay, what is going on? Both of them in the same day?

"We made Logan's favorite for breakfast! Come on!" Patton pulled me to my feet, "But fiiirrrsst!"

Patton removed my glasses. "Patton, I need those-"

"Don't worry, I've gotcha! Now, just close your eyes and let me guide you! Virge, grab his coffee!" Sighing, I did as asked and let him pull me. I wasn't fond of blindly walking when it was Patton guiding me, but if it made him happy. Hold on, what's the date? "Sit right here! And open your eyes!"

My glasses were slid back on as I opened my eyes. Aside from a couple of smudges on my glasses, I noticed the decor hanging up. Oh no, it's my "birthday."

"Surprise!" Patton giggled and hugged me. "We're going to spend the day together celebrating!"

"You're not very materialistic, so we had no ideas on what to gift you. Even me, Creativity!" Roman spoke as he set a plate in front of me. It contained crepes full of raspberries and strawberries with raspberry syrup and whip cream on top. Roman's favorite breakfast. They were good but not my favorite. My favorite breakfast was actually pizza. Surprising, yes. But something about hot pizza in the morning sounded way more appealing than any other time. I suppose I should just be grateful they even made the time and effort for me.

"This is why I came in your room. I was the distraction while they set up." Virgil shrugged. So...he didn't mean his apology? It was just an excuse? I suppose it could've been both, but would he have even apologized at all if not for my "birthday?"

"Whaddya think, Logie?" Patton sat beside me with a big grin on his face.

"Thank you, it's really sweet." I nodded.

"Yay! Let's eat so we can get to the games!"

"And adventures!"

A Real Family (Intruloceit Fan-Fic)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara