Chapter eighteen

The library was perhaps the most extraordinary aspect to the castle. Endless rows of books decorated the space, shelves so high it's infinite. Long wooden tables filled the few empty spaces. It was seemingly the largest room in the castle.

Draco and Olivia quickly sidle through the rows. They'd agreed to meet the Gryffindor trio in the darkest corner of the library. If word got back to their friends or Slytherin in general, their reputations would be tarnished.

To no surprise, Harry and Ron were already waiting as Granger was sifting through some books. Draco had insisted that "Slytherins are never on time" - to which it was partially true - as even her family relished in being fashionably late.

"Took you long enough." Harry muttered as the two sat on the other side.

Olivia smirked. "Quite fortunate we showed up at all." Draco laughed quietly, admiring his best friend's wit.

Before either of them could retaliate, Hermione slams a dated, musty smelling journal. It couldn't close properly, as the aged yellow papers looked too full for the binding.

"I was doing some light reading when I came across Flamel." She murmured as she scanned the pages.

Ron's eyes widen. "This is light?" He exclaims as the others echo his thoughts.

Hermione rolls her eyes and reads the exert from one of the chapters. Draco's eyes nervously dart around the room, he was paranoid someone would see them.

Olivia grew restless, the only new information they had was that multiple teachers had offered to design protections. But they hadn't the faintest idea on which teachers were involved, the challenges they'd be presented with nor if the stone was even lying at the end of it all.

She sighs, her and Draco were risking a lot to be here and it was proving a waste of time. "So we're going into this completely unaware of what we're facing? Fantastic." Olivia remarked.

Hermione glared at her. "You can leave, you know-"

Harry cut her off. "Mione, we need both of them. Well, only Liv, but Draco will follow regardless."

Draco reddens. "Shove off, Potter. Least I have actual talent in my work and not skating by on a celebrity status."

Harry snickered. "You skate by on the status of your family. We only needed Olivia for her strength in charms and potions. Not her follower."

At this point Olivia had to intervene. "He's my best friend and was a condition for me being here," she glared at Harry before turning to Draco. "Let's just try to keep some peace. We all need each other if we are going to survive this." Draco's eyes softened as he looked into hers, it was a rather bleak note to add. But the candour of her words were frighteningly accurate.

Ron nodded and Hermione piped up. "Alright well moving onto the important things. Hagrid mentioned he drunkenly told a stranger about getting past Fluffy." She sat down in defeat, as his actions were truly going to lead to serious trouble.

Draco laughed. "So what, he drunkenly raves about a three headed dog? It's not like anyone can break into Hogwarts." He shook his head in disbelief.

Hermione ignored him for the most part and continued. "Only problem is that the stranger knew Fluffy's name. Only logical response is that someone inside the castle is planning their move."

Olivia drew in a sharp breath as Draco fearfully took her hand. "We'll have to go tonight then, after dinner. We can't risk waiting, particularly since we don't know how long ago Hagrid blabbed." She nervously squeezed Draco's hand.

This suddenly felt all too real. And even though it was daytime, it felt as if darkness had enveloped them already.

Ron sat up. "So we meet at the end of the third corridor at midnight, agreed?" He turns to face them all individually as a chorus of yes rang back at him.

They parted ways silently after that, Malfoy not willing to let go of her hand. Frankly, Olivia needed the comfort, the reality of their decision sunk in.

This was the most famous stone guarded by multiple accredited wizards. What's to say a group of 11 year olds would succeed? And if someone evil was truly after it they were in a whole new world of danger.

***

They ended up back in the common room, they'd decided to not tell their group as they were sure Daphne and Pansy in particular would want to be included. Or ridicule them for talking to Gryffindors. Either way, it was best to conceal it.

Speak of the devils, Pansy raised an eyebrow. "And where have you two been? You've been missing since lunch!"

Draco shrugged casually. "We were organising our Potions assignment. At the library." He sat on the end of the couch beside Blaise as Olivia sat on the floor.

Daphne shook her head. "That's odd, I was there exchanging a Transfiguration book and didn't see either of you." Her eyebrows raised.

Olivia brushed it off. "We were in the back, didn't want to be surrounded by annoying Hufflepuffs." Again this wasn't necessarily false, as Hufflepuffs had an incessant need to always help.

The group nodded and Pansy moved on. "Anyway you guys missed it, Theodore Nott is wanting to organise another party even though Snape advises him not to. Think he fancies Liv a bit." She laughed, as if the idea was ridiculous which slightly stung.

Draco rolled his eyes, he truly despised Nott. "The years almost done-"

"Which is why it's on tomorrow night, after the last Feast." Blaise interjected helpfully.

Liv looked to Draco but could see the defeat in his eyes. "Sure, sounds fun. And I doubt he fancies me, I'd rather he didn't anyway." He was the biggest flirt and it made her uncomfortable.

Olivia failed to notice Draco brightening up a bit, he was grateful she wouldn't fall for Theodore's playboy ways.

As much as he didn't want to think about it - they may not even survive to see the party.

***

Olivia and Draco agreed to stay up together. They both knew deep down there's no chance of sleeping. Not when a huge weight is on your chest.

Liv faces him. "Do you think we'll make it?" She quietly asks. The somber question chills her heart.

Draco gripped her hand in reassurance. "We have to." He sends her a quick smile before the anxiety returns to his features.

As the clock strikes 11:50pm, they exited the common room and headed out of the dungeons.

Draco hadn't let go of her hand and Olivia was relishing in the safety he provided. She'd always felt safe with him and even the fate of the Philosophers stone couldn't take it away.

Their footsteps echoed much to their dismay. If Filch caught them, they're screwed. Usually you'll find his mangy cat Mrs Norris beforehand.

They quicken their pace, hands still intertwined. As they patiently wait for the stairs to finish moving, Draco breaks the silence.

"We both don't know what's going to happen tonight, but I have your back I promise. I'll do whatever I can to make sure you're alright." He whispered as he squeezed her hand.

Liv's eyes fill with tears, thankfully it's quite dark in the middle of the stairs. "We'll make it through, Dray."

Finally the stairs cease their moving, linking up to the forbidden corridor. They briskly walk down it, the faint chime of midnight can be heard.

They catch up with the trio at the end of the corridor. Their expressions match the anxious ones before them.

Harry sighs. "Whatever happens, we look out for each other. Ready?"

The group nod.