Chapter fifteen

The rest of Christmas break passed by like a moment in time. Fairly soon the group were back in the compartment on the way to the castle again.

As the familiar greenery ran past the windows, Liv rested her head on Draco's shoulder. She hadn't slept much the night before, her anxiety flared for some reason. Normally she was good at concealing it, but the PTSD from her mistreatment became overwhelming some nights.

She'd tried to focus on her amazing time at the Manor, but every moment at the Greengrass household she felt as if they might talk to her parents.

And if there was one thing she was scared of, it was her parents finding out she'd socialised outside of school.

Draco leaned his head onto hers, he too had barely slept ever since the possibility of Death Eaters wreaking havoc had come back. After all, his Aunt Bellatrix was literally insane, the most dedicated follower he'd ever come across. She'd even tried to teach Draco the unforgivable curses at the age of 9.

She was batshit crazy.

The train ride was uneventful. Even Daphne couldn't shake off the possibility of Death Eaters. Draco's worries had struck a chord in the group. He was always the overconfident leader of sorts and to see him worried brought fear on them.

Liv was nudged gently as Draco yawned, the train had stopped. They'd finally arrived and it seemed as if Draco had slept the entire way as well.

Something about trains made Liv so sleepy.

Amidst her protest, Draco carried her trunk for her to the guards. They hop into the coaches and are pulled along up to the castle magically.

The feast passed by uneventful, both Draco and Liv were extremely tired. Afterwards they exchanged a sleepy goodnight before resting.

***

Having to endure History of Magic right after Christmas break was torture. Professor Binns never made anything exciting, there wasn't a shift in his voice. Can't expect much from a ghost, but Olivia wished he'd at least use expression.

It was also unfortunately another class slytherins shared with gryffindors. Harry and his friends all talking and whispering about something. Minus Granger, she's the only person insane enough to listen.

Olivia yawned and leaned her head on her desk. For a boring ghost, his voice was rather melodic and lullaby soothing.

She groaned as she felt an uncomfortable prod. Daphne smiles sheepishly. "If we're being forced to stay awake, you are too."

Liv dramatically pretends to whack her head, Draco laughs to himself.

"Any questions, class?" Binns turns around.

Hermione raises a hand. "Professor you haven't checked the homework yet."

Literally every single student groaned exasperatedly. Trust the know it all to burst everyone's bubble.

He raises his eyebrows. "Ah yes, of course! Thank you and ten points to Gryffindor for the reminder. Those who haven't completed the homework will be writing lines tonight."

Pansy swore as her, Crabbe and Goyle didn't bother with the homework. The existential dread of detention looming.

Olivia sighed as she passed her parchment to the front, her head ached painfully. Daphne prodded her in the arm again. "Another headache?"

Liv nodded, the throbbing pain was not a joy in the slightest. She smiled as Daphne snuck a square of chocolate in her hand.  Chocolate made life better, no matter what.

She nibbled slowly, her head beginning to burn as a fever loomed. She'd have to stop by Madam Pomfrey.

As she's brought back from her daydream, she realises she's missed an entire section of notes. She shook her head slightly and tried to focus. Although who was switching the letters around like that?

Her head smashed against the desk as her vision went black.

***

Her eyes slowly open, beams of sunshine blur her vision momentarily. The hospital wing was really open, the overexposed windows made it impossible to nap in the day.

As her eyes focused, Daphne squeezed her hand. "Oh thank Merlin you're alright! Bloody scared us all, Liv."

Liv bit her cheek. "Sorry," she looked around and raised an eyebrow. "Where's Draco?"

Blaise laughed a bit before regaining composure. "Draco was escorting you to the Wing, but Potter made fun of you around the Transfiguration classroom. Malfoy hexed him, a teacher saw and he's currently being told off. How's your head?"

Pansy readjusted her pillow for her so she could sit up slowly. "Throbbing but I'll live. What did Scar Face say?" She rolled her eyes. He was more trouble than he's worth.

The group laughed at the name. "He basically said you got what you deserve and blaming you for bringing evil into Hogwarts. Malfoy struck before he could continue, although we were all very well close to hexing him into oblivion." Pansy explained.

Olivia giggled. That was exactly how Draco would've reacted, she could just picture it. Worlds greatest best friend.

Madam Pomfrey appears, tightening her white apron. "Nice to see you're awake, less nice I wasn't told! Never mind that, you came in with a sky high fever but after drinking this elixir and clearing your mind you will be good to go in an hour." She poured a yellow liquid into the medical shot glass.

Liv downed the drink, holding back the vomit as they disgusting elixir filled her system. Madam Pomfrey rolled her eyes at the reactions, no medicine tastes good and she was frustrated the students got their hopes up.

Truthfully, Olivia was hiding a secret from her friends. On the third day of her stay at the Greengrass household, she received a letter. That letter had been the beginning of terrible headaches and sickness. Her anxiety had flared up worse than ever. With a mix of insomnia, her health had literally deteriorated in the week.

The letter was from her parents. Well, it was clear her mother had written it as it had her scratchy calligraphy and perfume on it.

Olivia had a panic attack the day she'd received it. It was late at night, so nobody knew. Nobody still knew, and she was going to keep it that way.

In short the letter had read:

We heard about your little holiday away from Hogwarts. Not happy. Don't ever stay at anyone's house ever again. You've lost your outside privileges when your home and you'll regret the choices you made. Next Christmas you will stay at school UNLESS we tell you to come here. Don't hold hope, we had a lovely Christmas without you.

Don't screw up again, we are watching always.

- Pamela and Richard Kensington

The letter was engraved in her mind, they hadn't even signed as mother and father. She'd never had actual outside privileges but it looks like the rare moments of collecting the mail from the front porch was no more.

Nobody could ever find out about her parents. She wouldn't want to burden any other family nor be put in an orphanage or something.

Loud footsteps interrupted the entire group. "Out the way before I hex you!" Came a loud and familiar voice from outside.

The door crash open as Draco rushes in. "Are you hurt at all? Thirsty? Need a snack?" He rattled off a bunch of questions within one breath.

"Dray I'm fine, I promise, Pomfrey said I'll be out in an hour just need to wait for the medicine to kick in." She smiled.

He nodded, worry still evident in his eyes as he ran his hand through his hair.

"Would've been here sooner but wanted to bring some of your favourite candy." He placed the fizzing whizzbees on the table in front of her bed.

Liv looked at him curiously. "Thank you, may I ask what spell did you use on Potter?"

Draco smirked. "The jelly leg jinx, he couldn't even defend himself in enough time it was really amusing. I have no regrets."