Chapter ten

Dinner at the Malfoy's was extravagant, to say the least. They treated it like it was a holiday. Fancy outfits, candlelit scenery.

Draco had warned Olivia, and so she made sure to choose a nice emerald green dress mixed with a black lace pattern. She smiled, the dress looked lovely as she slipped on black flats.

Her black hair was loose down her back, a difference from her usual ponytail. Narcissa had supplied makeup, but Liv was not confident enough in her abilities. A light tap interrupted her thoughts.

She opened the door to reveal her best friend, wearing black dress shirt and black pants, and a grin. "You look really nice, dinners ready."

Liv thanked him as they made their way downstairs into the large dining room. Narcissa and Lucius both looked splendid in their attires, a black floor length gown and a black suit.

The house elves ran around preparing the table and serving the first course. "You look beautiful, darling." Narcissa smiles, approving the dress.

Lucius nodded. "Now children, I'll be conducting some work meetings here over the next few days. Feel free to continue playing together, these adults can be rather rude so be sure to only speak when spoken to around them." He explained.

Draco and Liv nodded. The dinner resumed, a slightly darker note as Lucius wasn't one to be upbeat.

Narcissa finished her water. "Talk to us about your school year so far. I know some from the letters but hearing it in person is special."

Olivia signalled Draco to lead, he nods. "It's been rather enjoyable, work is boring but potions was really great. Snape seems to be the only teacher to see Potter as he is, arrogant."

Lucius straightens. "Ah yes, Harry Potter. How could we forget him, defeating the Dark Lord all those years ago. Did you try befriending him?" He looks at Draco.

Draco's cheeks redden. "He'd rather stick around Weasley. Probably feels superior to the blood traitor."

Liv nods. "We did try, but after Potter hexed me we figured it's best to stay away." She notices Draco smile gratefully. When she words it like that, it sounds a lot better.

Narcissa smiles sympathetically. "Never mind that, I am very glad you're alright, Olivia. That boy will get a good dose of karma soon enough." Her lips twitch slightly, as if there was something she was hiding.

Olivia chose to ignore it, her parents seemed hopeful the Dark Lord hadn't died, perhaps they'd been onto something. Or perhaps they're lunatics. The latter seemed more likely.

The dinner conversation dwindled, as the next few courses came. Liv thanked the house elves quietly, whom looked at her like she'd given them a clothing range. She smiled as her next course had her lettuce in the shape of a heart.

Olivia notices Draco's quiet, as if his mind is somewhere entirely different. She'd have to check on him after dinner.

Once dessert had finally been served, the children were excused.

***

Draco's bedroom was massive, and even that is an understatement. A large record player sat on his dresser, beside a rather large radio. A soft hum of music was in the background.

His king size bed had a dark green plaid cover, made immaculately by the house elves.

His artwork was tasteful, mostly landscapes. Liv smiled as a cute photo of them at 5 years old sat proudly on his bedside table. They had just been to the park and were eating ice cream giggling.

An impressive white rug was to the right of his bed, leading to a large bookcase. His en-suite was the larger than any regular bathroom too.

The two of them sat on the floor playing with the exploding snap deck, trying to build a house of cards. They giggle as the cards explode spontaneously, wrecking their efforts.

The silence lingers before Draco breaks it. "I think something bad is going to happen, Liv. With...with the death eaters. Father has never had work meetings here." He paused, fear evident in his eyes.

Olivia nodded sadly. "They were fixated on you befriending Harry, and they know he's a Gryffindor. Probably means my parents will be mixed up in it too." Her shoulders slump.

Draco hesitates. "I am nearly positive they won't be around here, mother and father wouldn't want them going off at you for being here."

Liv's eyes widen. "Wh-why would they go off?"

The boy sitting across from her sighs and shakes his head. "I know there's some deep stuff going on. I don't need to know what, as that is your business and I want you to come to me when you're ready. But I do need to know you're safe, there's been speculation about your parents for awhile. Especially with the... social inept disorder?" His eyebrows draw together in confusion, as Liv never showed any signs of having social issues.

Olivia drew a shaky breath. "It's complicated and I'd prefer to talk about it at a later time with you, Dray." She returned to playing with the troubled cards.

Draco understood the memo and handed her the rest of the deck.