Chapter eight

•Liv's POV•

After a couple days since Liv's mother had sent the heartbreaking letter, Liv was shocked to receive a letter at breakfast time. The owl was different, she didn't recognise them but fed them a treat regardless.

Draco sat across from her, looking intently. Olivia opened it and grinned as she read it:

Dearest Olivia,

My it's been a long time! Lucius and I are immensely proud to have you in Slytherin, you've done us proud! Draco told us about all the points you've acquired for your house and your talent for spells. You seem to be very gifted, of course we knew that even before Hogwarts. We are grateful you two have each other to get through the boring school year! We would also like to cordially invite you to stay with us during the Christmas break. And if you ever need anything, or a place to stay, remember your home here at the Manor. You're like a daughter to us, Olivia, and we would love to help in any way we can.

Hope to hear back soon!

Love,
Narcissa and Lucius Malfoy.

Olivia's eyes glistened with tears, Daphne and Pansy wrapped their arms around her at her cute reaction. Draco squeezed her hand to show his support. Blaise even gave her one of his potatoes to brighten her up.

She nodded to Draco, a sign for yes she will stay with him for break. He grinned and yelled excitedly.

A few heads turned from other houses at the sudden noise and Draco shook it off, his best friend was going to be at the Manor again. And he would have time to ask about her family.

She put the letter carefully in her her Potions textbook.

***

A peculiar smell wafted through the Potions classroom. Snape raised his eyebrows, glaring around at who the culprit was and what in gods name they were doing.

The strength potion was supposed to smell like wild berries however this smelt more like a burnt tire mixed with egg.

Draco scrunched his nose. "How can that go so wrong for someone?" He muttered so only Liv could hear, she laughs and shrugs.

Snape clears his throat. "Mr Longbottom if you're going to fail so miserably perhaps it's best you let your partner do all the work." He sneered, and Neville shrunk sadly in his seat.

Potter spoke up from the back of the class, sitting beside Weasley and Granger. "That's unfair, Professor, he tried his best."

Snape raised his eyebrows and his black cloak dragged on the floor marvellously as he cascaded towards Potter. "Detention, Potter." He turns around and the slytherins laugh at his misfortune. Looks like he didn't always get what he wanted.

Draco sliced the buckleweed and put it in slowly as Liv began stirring. The temptation to drink it was intense as the wild berries replaced Neville's awful reek.

She closed her eyes momentarily, it truly was a good smell. Draco laughed and handed her a piece of the Picknert. She tilted her head in confusion.

"It gives the wild berry taste. Perfectly safe to eat and really sweet." He explained, Liv was impressed he knew so much.

Her gift for spells and charms was evident but Draco had the best knack for Potions. He truly grasped the concepts and his mind worked beautifully.

Liv breaks it in half and they sneakily eat it, the berry flavour sending her tastebuds into euphoria. Why would anyone eat normal berries when these tasted so much more ripe?

They continue with their potion. Their heads turn around as Crabbe and Goyle had somehow made theirs shoot sparks. Draco put a protective hand on Liv's shoulder, as the sparks began to stray from the cauldron and pop dangerously close to their group.

Snape flicked his wand and the sparks resided, their potion was a hopeless case. "Thanks for the fireworks." Pansy said sarcastically.

Other slytherins laugh and the Gryffindors glare. Neville has gotten in trouble for an incorrect smell, Harry received detention for assisting Neville. Yet slytherin  can make dangerous fireworks happen and that's all good?

Olivia didn't mind, she was used to Snape showing favouritism. He seemed to care about her, she felt safe being near him. He was a family friend after all.

Draco laughed. "Crabbe and Goyle really can be hopeless." He faced Liv, their potion brewing nicely.

She nodded. "At this point I think they enjoy it." She mutters back, he laughs.

Snape makes his daily rounds, critiquing Gryffindors and praising few. He gives a small smile as he inspects Liv and Draco's potion. "Best in the class, perfect." He drawled.

The two high five each other, Liv knew it was because of Draco and his excellency with Potions that pull them through. And she was more than happy to let him take the credit.

Draco walked by her side on the way to DADA with Quirrell. Their group following behind.

They wove their way throughout the halls. "You'll have to see the manor renovations when you stay over, Liv. You'll have your own quarters and house elf too." He rambled excitedly. He couldn't wait to go back home this break.

Olivia was equally, if not more, excited. She wasn't going to wake up alone in the castle! Speaking of which, she'd have to get her friends gifts. Oh well she'll make some time at the beginning to go with Draco.

They take their seats, she slides into hers situated in front of him.

As Quirrell nervously splutters about some distant theory. His classes were filled with theoretical work and no practical knowledge. It made for a tiresome day when he was teaching.

A note in the form of a bird fluttered to her desk. She opened the note smiling, 'wonder if he knows nobody is listening'

She picked up her quill and wrote back, 'think the awful reek from his turban blocks all his senses. And eyesight'

Draco tries to mask his laughter by pretending to cough rather violently. Olivia turned around and grinned.

She laughs again as everyone in the group except for Blaise and Draco were fast asleep.