Chapter XII

I've noticed that I typically follow a formula with my Naruto fanfics by following the canon arc timeline. I want to do something different and spice things up a little.

So here's the next chapter of Scorpion's Apprentice as I promised earlier. Next update I want to say will be Son of the Snake.

Comments are very much appreciated but not required.
~~~~~~~

"Where is my daughter, Sarutobi!" Hiashi demanded loudly. Asuma blinked slightly surprised by the outburst and stared with wide eyes at the normally stoic Hyuga Head. Hiashi had his hand planted firmly on the Hokage's desk glaring at their village leader. "I promise you, Hiashi, I have a whole division of the ANBU Black OPS searching for your daughter," Hiruzen reassured.

"Well, search harder! It had to be those Kumo bastards. They've tried it once, what's stopping them from trying it again?" Hiashi hissed. Hiruzen fixed the Hyuga Head with a stern look. "Please, you're being ridiculous. Do you think so lowly of our security system that you would think that a Kumo spy was able to slip in so easily to come and kidnap your daughter," he said calmly. Hiashi glared at the Hokage before he looked away.

"Tell us what happened, Hiashi. Instead of complaining and pointing fingers try and actually give us some details as to what happened," Asuma said. Hiashi looked over at the jonin before sighing. "What is there to explain? My daughter never made it back from training with her squard," Hiashi explained. "And you have everyone out searching?" Hiruzan inquired. "Of course I do," Hiashi snapped.

"Well, regardless, I have the whole village on high alert, even more so with the new development of your daughter's disappearance. We will find her, Hiashi, I promise," Hiruzen said. Hiashi glared at the Hokage before he whirls around and stormed out of the office. "You better," he said before he exited the room. Asuma relaxed slightly and sighed. "Damn, I don't think I've ever seen him so worked up," he muttered.

Hiruzen leaned back in his chair and rubbed his forehead. "Any father would be worked up if their child never came home. It's natural for him to be this worked up. He might not show it, but he's concerned maybe even a little scared that something happened to his daughter," he explained. Asuma hummed a little before fixing his father with a soft look. "I've been meaning to ask. How are you holding up?" he asked gently.

The aged Hokage looked at his son. "I'm not sure. I have lost many good friends during the war and even more twelve years ago. I broke my promise to my Minato by allowing his son to die in the way he did. When I eventually see Minato and Kushina in the afterlife...I don't know if I will be able to look them in the face for what I did," he said. Asuma frowned slightly. "Have you talked to Kakashi?" he asked.

Hiruzen shook his head. "No, but I do know he's blaming himself just as much as me. Naruto was Minato's son, the last link he had to a father figure," he said. Asuma looked down at the floor. "What could we have done to have prevented Naruto's suicide? Didn't Hiashi say something about how Naruto felt trapped or something?" he asked. Hiruzen nodded slowly. "Naruto said that the village was a cage and that he felt like a puppet. It sickens me that that's how he felt, however..." he trailed off.

Asuma's eyebrow rose slightly. "However?" he asked, trying to coax his father into finishing his sentence. Hiruzen sighed. "However, I was deluding myself into thinking that Naruto saw this place as home. I was trying to convince myself that Naruto truly did not feel threatened living here, stubbornly refusing to face the reality of the situation. I was a fool, Asuma, a senile old fool," he muttered. Asuma frowned. "Don't say that, dad, you did your best," he said softly.

Hiruzen remained silent, staring in front of him. "Go, Asuma. Get your Genin Squad prepared for the Chunin Exam," he said. Asuma took that as his cue that his dad needed time to himself. "Alright, dad. Just try and not be too hard on yourself, alright?" he said. Hiruzen managed a small smile at his son's concern before he watched Asuma exit his office.