Forty

I was curled up on the couch, scooping ice cream into my mouth. Carrie sat beside me and rubbed circles over my shoulder blade to try and calm me down. Thick, silent tears were rolling down my cheeks after I explained everything to her. "What are you gonna do?" she asked softly.

"I don't know, Care." I shrugged, dipping my spoon into the ice cream again. "All I know is I can't be with him right now. He lied to me about so much. All those girls... how he never even told them he was filming them and, God, can you imagine being one of them?" I scoffed as I brought the spoon up to my mouth, sucking the icy treat off it greedily. "It's not just the fact that he lied, it's that he had a million opportunities to tell me the truth but he never did."

"I'm sorry, babe," she said, looking at me sympathetically.

"We had such a wonderful weekend together. And now it's, it's all ruined. Because he didn't tell me the truth. Because he hid it from me."

"Well, he did say he was planning to tell you."

I chuckled darkly. "When? He told me about Ellie, but he deliberately left out the fact he knew her before he went to France. He could've told me he met her in college! Why the fuck didn't he?! I just, I want to forgive him, but I can't get around the fact that he chose to lie to me. He consciously made that decision. He was very well aware of the consequences. Very well aware that lying would probably make it worse in the end than just being straight with me from the start."

Carrie sighed. "Boys are stupid." She smiled at me. "And though I hate myself for saying this because your heart is obviously broken, I love having you back here."

I smiled through my tears. "I love you, Carrie."

"I love you too, Belle." She threw her other arm around me and hugged me tightly. A small meow made us break apart and I stared down to find Miss Kitten sitting in front of our feet. "Aww, baby," Carrie cooed as he picked up her kitten and cuddled her to her chest. "Go cheer up Belle, cutie. She needs cuddles."

I chuckled as she handed the small kitten over to me and I cradled her in my arms. Carrie smiled, pulling the ice cream away from me as she stood up, leaving me alone with a purring Miss Kitten. "I missed you too, little one," I said when her eyes closed as I scratched the top of her head. Her mouth seemed to curl into a smile.

Carrie and I spent the rest of the evening together until she had to leave for work. I watched a little TV by myself, until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. I dragged my body over to my bed and collapsed on top of it, not even bothering to change out of my dress.

But when I was alone with nothing but silence surrounding me, I was suddenly wide awake again and a new batch of tears was forming in my eyes. The boy I loved had broken my heart.

I cried myself to sleep that night.

I dragged myself out of bed the next morning, my alarm clock going off way too soon for my liking. When I entered the bathroom and stared at my reflection, I wanted to scream. I looked as big of a mess as I felt. With a sigh, I started working on fixing up myself until I looked presentable. I was too lazy to change into a different outfit, so I decided the dress would have to do for another day at work.

I sighed. Work. I wasn't exactly looking forward to it, but it was something I had to. Besides, Ryder would be in his office all day anyway. I'd barely see him.

"Good morning," Carrie said as I wandered into the kitchen. "How are you feeling?"

"Not that great," I sighed as I grabbed a mug and poured some coffee into it.

"Are you planning on going to work?"

"Yeah."

"Are you sure you can handle it?"