Twenty Four

“Ryder–” I said, my eyes locked on the small box in front of me.

“Just open the box, Belle,” he urged, placing his hand over mine where it was resting on top of the table. I was shaking slightly. A small box could only mean one thing; a ring. He wasn’t about to propose to me was he? We’d only known each other for two weeks, it would be insane. “You’ll love it, I swear.” I looked up at him to find him smiling sweetly at me. When he nodded his head towards the box again, I swallowed hard.

“The last time you said that to me I was presented with a diamond bracelet and matching earrings that I told you not to get for me,” I breathed, my gaze once again focused completely on the box. “I swear to God, Ryder, if this is–”

“It’s not what you think, Angel,” he interrupted me, “I can promise you that. Just, just open it, please.”

After taking a deep breath, I grabbed the box and pulled it closer to me. Slowly, I opened it and gasped at the contents. Inside was a beautiful silver ring, perched onto a small white silk cushion. I pulled it out and examined it. The dolphin at the front of the band was made of bright blue crystals. I knew immediately he’d bought it at the aquarium because I’d spotted it behind a glass display along with some other jewelry inspired by sea animals.

“When did you get this?” I asked. “You never left my side this morning.”

“You used the restroom right before we left. I saw my chance and took it.” He shrugged. “Do you like it?” He got off his chair again and walked over to me. But instead of taking the empty seat next to me, he crouched down beside me. He reached for the ring and pulled it out of my hands. “Belle,” he started as he looked up at me. He grabbed my left hand and held the ring in front of my ring finger. “I want you to be mine.”

“I am yours,” I replied, looking at him curiously.

“Yes but, I want us to be together. I want a relationship with you.” He changed his position, dropping to the floor on his knees. “I want you to be my girlfriend, Belle.”

“Oh my God.” I sucked in a breath. I bit down onto my bottom lip while I stared at Ryder holding the ring in front of my hand, ready to slide it in place. It was absolutely adorable. The ring was perfect. “Of course,” I said, tears threatening to spill out of my eyes. “Of course I’ll be your girlfriend, Ryder.” I grinned widely and watched his face light up with an even bigger smile of his own. And after placing the ring on my finger, he pulled me up with him and kissed me hard, his hands holding my face tightly. I reached up to grab his wrists as I smiled into the kiss.

“Do you like it?”

“I love it, Ryder.” Still smiling, I stared down at my hand and admired the ring. “It’s perfect. Just like you.” I lifted my head up to meet his eyes and found him already beaming back at me.

“You’re perfect too, Angel,” he breathed before leaning in to kiss me again. One of his hands moved to hold me loosely around my wait, his palm flat against the small of my back. With the other, he grabbed my own hand and interlocked our fingers. Holding our locked hands up beside our bodies, he started to gently sway us around on the deck.

“What are you doing?” I asked when I broke the kiss.

“I’m dancing with you,” he stated matter-of-factly. He let go of my waist and, holding our hands up high above his head, let me twirl around before pulling me back against him. “Isn’t it obvious?”

“There’s no music.” I placed my free hand on his shoulder, toying with the neckline of his t-shirt.

“Yes there is.” He smiled down at me. When I looked at him in confusion, he brought his hand up to my chest and pressed a finger to it. I immediately knew what he meant and chuckled lightly at the cheesiness of it. “The beat of our hearts.”