Four

When I got home after my first day of work that night, Carrie wasn’t home. Miss Kitten was laying on the window sill, obviously asleep. I kicked off my shoes, threw my briefcase on the couch and headed over to the fridge to see what I would have for dinner. That’s when I noticed Carrie’s note on the table.

Off to work already. Boss called me in early
x Carrie

After throwing away the note, I pulled some lasagna out of the fridge and placed it in the microwave. While I waited for it to heat up, I grabbed my laptop and switched it on. Mr. Jackson had mentioned events to me, so I was curious to find out exactly what kind of events he attended exactly.

I kept googling my boss during dinner and printed some things out. Carrie would probably be interested in all of this as well. When I had quite an amount of articles and pictures, I switched off my laptop and finished my dinner.

I let Carrie know that I was coming over to the bar later and then quickly changed into a different outfit. I traded my dress for a pair of grey loose fitting shorts and a basic white top. Just to be sure, I grabbed a black cardigan to throw over the whole thing in case it got chilly tonight.

Once I’d made sure there was water and food left for Miss Kitten, I slipped my feet into a pair of black ballet flats and headed out the door.. The bar Carrie worked at was about a twenty-minute walk away from our apartment so I decided to go on foot rather than call a taxi.

Surprisingly enough the bar was already crowded even though it was only nine in the evening on a Monday. “Belle!” Carrie yelled when she spotted me, waving me over to the bar. Smiling, I headed over to her and sat down on one of the stools. “Here. It’s on me.” She placed a bottle of beer in front of me.

“Thanks,” I replied, picking it up to take a sip of the cool liquid.

“So?” she asked, eyebrows raised, “how was your day?”

“You already know,” I sighed.

“Yeah, but I still wanna hear it.” She chuckled and brought her attention to the two girls who had taken a seat a couple stools down from me.

“There’s nothing more to tell.” I reached down into my bag and laid some of the articles out on top of the bar. “I fucked him in a club and now I’m his assistant. He even wants me to go to these stupid events with him.”

"I can't believe you didn't know who he was," Carrie said when she finished preparing the girls’ drinks.

Sighing, I stared down at the articles and pictures I'd printed out. Turned out Mr. Jackson made it into magazines frequently due to the amount of charity work he was involved with. And because of the events Jackson Palmer sponsored that he attended and of course the events held at one of the locations Jackson Palmer owned. He seemed to be the face of the company, really. Whenever Jackson Palmer was mentioned in the press, his picture popped up in the article. 

"So you're supposed to be by his side in all this?" She looked at the papers in front of me and turned some towards her so she didn't have to read them upside-down. "Well, for one thing, you'll look better by his side than she ever will." Laughing, she turned the page back towards me and tapped the picture.

She was right.

The blonde by his side in this particular shot looked completely out of place. She was too tall and too thin next to his muscular frame. He wasn't the tallest man himself but that woman made him look like a midget. And she wasn't even wearing super high heels.  "At least you don't tower over him like that," Carrie laughed. "And I hope you'll be smart enough to wear color-coordinated outfits and not clash like that."