Fourteen

On Tuesday morning, the awkwardness of the day before had vanished completely. Everything was back to normal. I had delivered a coffee and a muffin to Ryder’s desk prior to his arrival and got started on my daily tasks.

Unlike yesterday, when Ryder strutted into the office a few minutes after eight he actually acknowledged my presence, greeting me with a dazzling smile. I returned the gesture even though I nearly melted into a puddle at the mere sight of his wide grin. And this chair I was perched on would probably melt away with me. His smile was the most wonderful thing I’d ever seen in my life. It was the eighth Wonder of the World.

“Good morning, Miss Ryan,” he said, brushing his hand over my bare arm as he passed. It was another hot day, so I’d put on a thin silk navy racer back top which I’d tucked neatly into a black sequined pencil skirt. The air-conditioning was on full blast, but now that he was so close to me and touching me, I could feel myself getting hotter again. I resisted the urge to grab for some papers to fan myself with.

Oh God. I was so excited for tonight. Screw office code. I needed him more than I needed air to breathe.

“Any messages?” I jumped slightly in my seat, not realizing he was still standing so close to me. He chuckled at my reaction and with no one in sight, he gently circled the back of my neck with his thumb. My eyes shut themselves automatically at his gentle, caressing touch. My lips parted in a sigh.

“No.” I basically moaned the word as he continued massaging my neck, applying light pressure on my skin. Where had he learned to do that? I made a mental note to have him massage me sometime. I didn’t care if I’d have to beg for it, I needed those magic hands all over my body. “You have a lunch meeting though, don’t forget about that,” I forced the words out, trying to keep my voice steady, but it cracked about halfway through the sentence. Damn you Ryder Jackson!

“Coffee?” he asked, dropping his hand. I groaned at the loss of contact. “Later,” he whispered in response to my whine.

“On your desk,” I replied as I turned around in my chair and smiled up at him. “With a complementary muffin, as usual.”

I watched his face fall slightly. Had I done something wrong? He liked a muffin with his coffee, didn’t he? He’d never looked so sad before upon finding out I’d bought him a muffin. But just as quickly as his expression had fallen, it was replaced by a smug look that screamed want and desire. Dark, playful eyes stared back at me. “I would like you on top of my desk, Miss Ryan,” he breathed huskily, “with a complementary coffee.”

My body tingled all over. What had suddenly gotten into him? He’d never voiced his desire for me like that before. Not that it was a bad thing. I quite enjoyed it.

“But I suppose the muffin will do. It’s a nice consolation prize.” He trailed a finger lazily down my arm before turning around to head into his office. “No meetings this morning, right?” Pausing in the doorway, he turned to look at me.

“No, just the lunch meeting” I confirmed with a smile. His eyes trailed down my body, from my face to my legs. His gaze landed on my black leather multi-strap sandals. I knew he would like those shoes. Slowly, he dragged his eyes back up to my face. I grinned at him cheekily and made a show of uncrossing my legs, keeping my thighs apart briefly before crossing them again. His eyes shifted downwards again and he licked his lips. Oh I had him right where I wanted him.

I could tell he was struggling. He wanted to come and touch me, but he knew he shouldn’t. And as much as I knew I shouldn’t, I couldn’t help myself. “You like them, don’t you?” I asked suggestively, my voice low and seductive as I leaned forward, stroking the straps around my ankle.