Two

“Looks like you two bonded last night,” I chuckled as I made my way into the kitchen.

Brody was sitting on the kitchen table, scooping cereal into his mouth while Miss Kitten sat on his lap, keeping a close eye on the spoon going from the bowl to his mouth and back. “You know cats,” he snorted, fishing out the last of his cereal, “once you got food you’re their best friends but when the foods gone…” he held up his arm to show me the three red scratches across his forearm.

“Oh come on.” Rolling my eyes, I opened the fridge and pulled out the orange juice as well as the milk.

“No seriously, Belle, this kid’s a menace.”

“She’s a harmless little kitten. Look how cute she is.” After grabbing a bowl and a glass out of the cupboard I joined him at the table. “I’m sure she was just playing. You know how much she loves to play.” I poured some milk into my empty bowl and then filled it up with cereal.

“You know you’re doing that wrong, right?” Brody said, staring at me as I mixed the cereal with the milk. I took a bite and stared up at him in confusion. “The cereal’s supposed to go before the milk.”

“Nu-uh. Milk first then cereal.”

“What the hell are two bickering about so early in the morning? Jesus fucking Christ.” Brody and I both turned our heads to see Carrie slowly making her way over to us. She looked like a mess, which wasn’t really that surprising considering the state she was in when we went home last night. Her normally perfectly groomed hair was sticking up on all sides of her face, she looked like she hadn’t slept in days and she had her shirt on inside out.

Miss Kitten, upon hearing the sound of her mommy, jumped off Brody’s lap and circled around Carrie’s bare legs for attention. “Ugh, shoo. I’m not in the mood,” she said, giving her a small kick. Confused, the kitten looked up at her and blew at her while she raised her back. “Oh baby,” Carrie cooed, bending down, “I’m sorry. Mommy’s a little… hung over.”

“A little?” I snorted, grabbing an empty glass and filling it up with some orange juice.

“Yeah, babe, you were bad last night. Do you not remember the part where you threw up all over my shoes and then passed out halfway to the bed?” Brody laughed. “And when I tried to carry you into the bed, you kept protesting even though you were unconscious.”

“I did not,” she answered, sounding offended. She walked past us, holding Miss Kitten in her arms, and grabbed some Advil out of the cupboard.

“Yeah you did. And,” Brody starting, turning to me, “you kept going on and on about some hot guy this girl right here fucked on the dance floor.”

“Oh my God.” Feeling my cheeks turn as red as tomatoes, I covered my face with my hands.

“That is not the Belle that I know,” he laughed. “I’m offended you didn’t tell me.”

“Like you would’ve told me if you had shagged some random chick at a club.”

“Guys please, keep it down, gosh.” Carrie sank down in the chair beside her boyfriend and laid her head down on the table. “I’m never drinking again. Belle, write that down. I swear to God. No more fucking alcohol for me.”

“You better feel better soon because you promised to go shopping with me today, remember? And I’m not going by myself. I need your advice on office wear.”

“I’m a bartender, Belle,” she groaned, lifting up her head. “What the fuck do I know about suitable clothes for an office job?”

“Hung over Carrie is such buzzkill,” Brody laughed with a roll of his eyes.