Chapter Fourteen// Skye

Skye's POV

What had I done? I wanted to scream, but somehow, after the initial shock of seeing Niko going over the edge... I'd just lost it. All my terror, my shock, my fury, I let it all out in one scream. What did I cause? I swipe furiously at the mixture of salty tears and piteous snot all over my face.

Somehow, I didn't care about my reputation. I didn't care if people thought of me as a stinking snivelling coward. I didn't care about whatever Niko did to me in the past.

I just want Nikolay Adams back safe and sound.

"How did that happen?" David looks aghast, horrified at the situation at hand. Even I must be slow to process it. The events seemed sluggish, almost as if a tank of water was emptied into my brain, slowing down my thoughts and pulling me down...down...

I feel someone take my hand. Through my veil of tears brimming up in my eyes, I make out Stella. "Hey, calm down, clear your thoughts, Skye." Stella reassures me. I wanted to scream, to push Stella away. How could I calm down after seeing what had happened, to... to Niko? God, to think that our very last conversation hadn't ended in peace. But somehow, I know Stella's right. I couldn't keep this up. All my efforts would be wasted.

Just save the tears till bedtime, Skye.

I take a deep breath, touched by the younger girl's concern. She barely knew me, and yet here she is, being a good friend. Gosh, I feel so insignificant, the way I had handled myself.

Pulling myself together, I scan the crowd. This is terrible. Had so many people gathered to watch the Skye Humiliation Project? I sure as hell will win the nomination prize award for the worst crier.

"Niko... and I, we had an argument." I began in a low whisper, not wanting anyone else to hear me, except for these two helpful people, whom, surprisingly, I found that I could trust. Never before, had I felt anyone really caring for me. Except maybe Nikolay... but he's g-gone...

I sniffle, and Stella pats my shoulder, her warm brown eyes comforting me. I suck in a big breath, clearing my mouth from all those tears that had trailed down my face. "Whenever you are ready." Stella says softly.

"He stormed off, after... after," somehow, those words were stuck at the back of my throat. This was all my fault. I wanted to jump off the chasm, plunge to my own miserable demise... but than I would be deemed cowardly. And that is one trait I simply could not bear in other people. I decide to give up and fest up everything.

"After I told him to go away." I sigh. I didn't use the exact words, but it felt like it. If only I hadn't questioned his concern for me... he might still be around.

"He... I didn't see him all through lunch." A sob was threatening to overwhelm me, but I firmly choke it back down my throat. No more silly crying.

"Then I got a feeling... I came up here to search, but... but..." So much for not crying. The naughty tears were spilling out like a saltwater spring.

Stella stares at me encouragingly through her soft eyes.

"But I was too late. He was walking too close to the side of... of the chasm. I saw that he'll miss his footing and plunge downwards, so I rushed towards him." I close my eyes, wanting so much to get the events out of my head, and yet, I wanted it all to come sobbing out, leaving my conscience. Even though this is no bedtime story, I picked up the tale. No one interrupted, knowing it's my tale to tell, however garish the ending.

"He caught sight of me, and somehow, that caused him to lose his balance, and---" I couldn't finish the sentence. The tears just kept overflowing, and a hard lump blocks the back of my throat, temporarily cutting off my voice.

David stood up, looking graver than I'd ever saw him before. With his crazy tangled hair and wild eyes, he looked positively beat, drained.

"Well... I'm going to take a look." He announces, and takes a step closer. By my side, I feel Stella stiffen. "Careful, David!" She warns in a strangled voice.

All of a sudden, a couple of tiny pebbles shifted under David's foot, and rolled off the side of the chasm, causing David to stumble dangerously. Stella was up in an instant. "David! Get away from there!" She yelled, her voice sparked fulled with fear, panic overwhelmed me as well.

"She's right. Don't take a step further!" I warn. I didn't want another death on my conscience.

Death. I feel a shudder running down my spine, chilling me to the bone. I'd caused a death. The death of... of Niko. I could've prevented it, if only... only... I sink back to the ground, consumed with grief. This would never have happened if I hadn't picked a fight with him in the first place.

The air turned cold and still as damp realization kicks in. There is nothing to do to stop this now. The game's over. He died, Skye. Freaking died, falling over the chasm. How ever could you will him to live?

"It's all my fault, isn't it?" I sniff. Stella looks at me, pity showing through her eyes. I hated that. I hated other people to feel sorry for me. I didn't want others to think I wasn't capable of handling myself.

Shakily, I got to my feet, and just sort of wobbled on my legs, unsteady, glancing around with an ounce of uncertainty.

The wind shifted, and I hear a faintest strains of a whimper.

I froze. Then it came again, slightly distinctive. I acted like a total maniac. Lunging forward like a psycho, I tried to peer over the edge. "Niko!" I scream into the abyss.

For a horrifying minute, there was complete silence. I cling tightly to myself... to the ridiculous hope that, maybe, just maybe, Niko would still be alive, and things would be alright.

Then there came a noise. Clearly humane, coming from directly below. I scream his name once more, taking the daring step closer towards the edge...

"Niko! Where are you?" I practically yell myself hoarse. Come on, come on... I wait nervously for the answer. When it came, I acted on impulse, diving towards the direction of the answer:

"Here."

And I remember pitching head first into the darkness.

A/N: It just gets exciting, believe me ;D

~Tiffany :)